Eratosphere

Eratosphere (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/index.php)
-   General Talk (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Flouncing off (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/showthread.php?t=28185)

William A. Baurle 06-11-2017 06:51 PM

Flouncing off

At PFFA they had an expression for people who had the idea they needed to announce that they were leaving the site permanently:

"Don't announce, just flounce." Or something like that.

It's been a good 16 years, but I can't imagine it will be healthy for me or any of the other members for me to continue participating here. I've learned a lot and I've had a good run, by and large.

I needed to make an announcement in order to make sure I do not return. If I were to return after such an announcement, that would be really silly. Any PMs or even email from members will be deleted unread, as I need to make a clean and final break.

Good luck to all of you, and thanks for all the fish.

Via con Dios! :)

Jayne Osborn 06-12-2017 03:14 PM

Hi Bill,

I'm surprised and saddened to read this. I'm not sure what the problem is, or why you've decided to make this announcement, but you seem to have made up your mind.

However, I would like to say that "If I were to return after such an announcement, that would be really silly" is not the case as far as I'm concerned. You can come back whenever you like!

Anyone who leaves Eratosphere, or who doesn't post for years, is still recorded as a member. We don't remove them from the Members List.

16 years is a long time, Bill! After your "clean and final break", if you ever feel the desire, or the need, to join in with us again please do. It won't be regarded as silly, I promise.

I like to think that we have always got on well, and I wish you all the best for the future.

Jayne

Later: Bill, if it's the British General Election thread that's bothering you, I really wouldn't let it.
These discussions happen . . . and they blow over, thankfully!

Mark McDonnell 06-12-2017 04:01 PM

Bill,

What Jayne said. It wouldn't be silly, it would be...capricious at worst. As is a poet's prerogative.

And what Jayne said about the GT thread also. Forget about it. These discussions never go well online, notoriously, even somewhere as civilised as this. They need beer and a jukebox. Hang around Bill, you're a nice chap.

Mark.

Jim Moonan 06-12-2017 06:47 PM

All of that and this:
To flounce is to bounce. Capriciousness be damned. You can find reason to clarify your decision by renouncing the GT board's socio-political diatribe – where most of us become frustrated more than enlightened.

Take some time to find your voice again and, as the much maligned Allen Ginsberg wrote, “I beg you come back, be cheerful.”

Jim

John Whitworth 06-13-2017 12:27 AM

I agree that Bill is a nice chap. Not as thick-skinned as me. It's hard for us on the right here with all you damn liberals. I was over in the USA last week in West Chester, and I noticed no difference at all from last time when Obama was President. No doubt there were differences butthey weren't life-destroying. You have had worse Presidents, one of them in the very recent past. And you are still here.

Brian Allgar 06-13-2017 06:01 AM

True, John. Possibly the worst President they've ever had was elected in the very recent past. Unfortunately, he's still in office.

Michael F 06-13-2017 06:08 AM

On the chance you read this, Bill, I’m sorry to see you go. I think you’ve contributed much to the Sphere on literature and philosophy and music and more.

As to politics, I try to avoid it, having often come to regret it when I don’t.

John Isbell 06-13-2017 06:57 AM

That's a good way to put it, Michael.
Bill, you said you wouldn't read this thread, but if you do, thank you for your welcome when I joined the Sphere. I have always valued your comments, even when I disagree. You speak from the heart. You've said the Sphere matters to you, and i do hope you come to reconsider and return. I know i would welcome it.

Cheers,
John

Michael Juster 06-13-2017 07:21 AM

I will make a futile point.

I was still a moderator when Alex raised the idea of opening up General Talk to all subjects. It was the first real disagreement we had, and I told him that the rancor it would bring would destroy the space we had created for talk about poetry.

More than a decade later, I still think I was right, and I think it's getting worse for reasons I was not smart enough to foresee. Social media is a reeking whirlpool of invective (and worse); I dread looking at my Twitter feed even though--with a few exceptions for old friends-- I try to follow only people focused on poetry. Facebook, Twitter, Zargnag & the rest have redefined how we interact with each other, and it is not healthy.

I think that chronic rage has infected General Talk, which has driven out most serious discussions of poetry on the site. I know it is likely that I will get electronically shouted down for this opinion, but if it were me, I'd go back to the old rule, restrict General Talk to poetry-related discussions, and pray for a return to civility.

And maybe I would allow chat about puppies to improve our moods.

Ann Drysdale 06-13-2017 07:35 AM

May I remind everyone of the idea Nigel Mace suggested - the Flyting thread on D&A. For the very invective and Drawcansiry that has made this forum unsavoury. I liked it - we could use poetry (or, due to its hasty birthing, "verse") to blast one another to b*gg*ry and no harm was done.

Perhaps we should return here to the old drawing-room convention, with a ban on three subjects - sex, politics and religion.

Others' views?