Eratosphere

Eratosphere (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/index.php)
-   General Announcements (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Helen Schaible sonnet contest (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/showthread.php?t=28400)

Nausheen Eusuf 08-09-2017 09:14 PM

Helen Schaible sonnet contest

I'm passing along the following announcement from Allison Joseph's CRWROPPS list about this year's Helen Schaible sonnet contest. I feel a bit silly re-posting something that has this many exclamation marks, but I'm just the messenger, and it's a contest where Sphereans have won and placed in the past.

Quote:

Helen Schaible International Sonnet Contest 2017
Deadline: September 1, 2017 (postmark)

Dear Poet,

Have you ever wondered what it might be like to write a great sonnet, like Petrarch, Sir Philip Sidney, or even Shakespeare himself? Well, you will never know unless you give it a try. You might surprise yourself!!! Enter our Sonnet Contest and see!!!

Please send TWO COPIES of ONE poem, either a Shakespearean or a Petrarchan sonnet, to Barbara L. Eaton, 416 Gierz Street, Downers Grove, IL 60515, USA. One copy should have ID (name, address, phone no, and email) and one should be unidentified.

First Prize $50. Second Prize $35. Third Prize $15. Three Honorable Mentions Unranked. Three Special Recognitions Unranked.

There is no entry fee. Winners will be notified by November 1, 2017. Good luck, and happy writing!!!

Questions? E-mail us at poetsandpatronsATgmailDOTcom

Michael Juster 08-09-2017 09:27 PM

It's also a contest where they do not bother to announce winners some years, but "no blood, no foul" since they don't charge.

Susan McLean 08-17-2017 09:59 AM

It is also a contest in which the titles of the winners are announced, but the poems are not published. So one can submit a sonnet both to it and to the Nemerov sonnet contest. Just saying.

Susan

Michael Cantor 08-17-2017 10:44 AM

Who is or was Helen Schaible?

Catherine Chandler 08-18-2017 07:10 AM

Michael,

This has been a burning question of yours for a while, eh? :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Cantor (Post 328810)
Who is Helen Schaible?

I'm not sure who she is, or was, but I imagine she is or was a poet and/or a poetry lover, just like Martin Marr.

The Morton Marr Poetry Prize is an endowment by Marilyn Klepak of Dallas in honor of her father, whose love of poetry has encouraged her to pass this love on to others.

Back in January, 2015, Rose Kelleher asked for info on Eratosphere, and Terese (who won the award in 2008) was going to email Rose with the information on Helen Schaible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terese Coe (Post 339529)
Rose,

I just got some information for you but I have to send by email. Discretion and all that.

In addition to Terese, Gail White won third prize in 2014, Chris O'Carroll won special recognition that year, as I did in 2013. Mary Meriam also won an HM. Susan McLean won in 2007. I probably missed someone (sorry, if I did).

Good luck to all Speherians entering this year. As Susan points out, since none of the poems are published, we can also send them to the Nemerov.

Thanks for reminding me about this one, Nausheen!

Cathy

Just mailed in a slant Petrarchan. Thanks again, Nausheen.