Eratosphere

Eratosphere (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/index.php)
-   The Distinguished Guest (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Now accepting sonnets for bake-off (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/showthread.php?t=17298)

Gail White 03-21-2012 06:56 PM

Now accepting sonnets for bake-off

Just to cover all bases, this is the third notice that it is now time for Sonnet Bake-Off 2012, and we're open for submissions!

Send your entry to host Gail White at gailxpoet@cox.net.

Last day for Submissions will be April 15.

DG Tim Murphy will take over from there. Finalists will start being
posted on April 27.

Three entries so far, and I expect many more!

Christopher ONeill 03-22-2012 03:33 AM

Can I assume that a Sonnet Bake-Off is some kind of a poetry competition?

Is there anywhere I can see the details? (Is the competion for sonnets?)

It's very tempting when one finds an email address, a submission date, and very little else, to start posting all sorts of stuff off to it - in the vague hope ........

Do you remember when you were a little girl, and you noticed that the central heating vents were rather like letterboxes, and you 'posted' your dad's union-card, and the ration-book nan needed to get her sweets?

Email drops with no further elucidation still look that way to me.

Just saying ..........

;-)

Things us newbies might like to know would include:

what formats are you comfortable to receive entries in (txt, Word Documents, Latex .....)?

how broad (approximately) is the definition of sonnet (curtal sonnets, long sonnets)?

what supplementary detail needs to be included (Eratosphere member name, shoesize)?

Maryann Corbett 03-22-2012 10:11 AM

The explanation, again...

Christopher, look at post 22 on this thread for an explanation of bakeoffs generally.

Gail has posted info in other places on the board that specify: ONE sonnet per poet.

I think I'm safe in saying that Gail would prefer to have the text of the poem in the body of the e-mail. That saves the step of saving to disk. Don't bother with .doc or .rtf unless your poem's formatting requires that. Most sonnets aren't tough to format.

If you adjust your settings so that you can see ALL the threads ever posted on the Distinguished Guest board, you can look back at all the years of Bakeoffs and get an idea of what's acceptable. The standard 14-liner is the safest bet.

If your Eratosphere member name isn't your real name, or the pen name under which you publish, then do include it with the poem.

Gail, I hope I'm not overstepping in offering these answers.

Orwn Acra 03-22-2012 10:16 AM

Christopher,

The bake-offs are yearly in-house competitions against fellow Sphere members. Each one has a theme. This one is for sonnets. I think any sort of sonnet would work, but that is up to the discretion of Gail, who is filtering the entries, and Tim, who is picking his favorite 12.

Tim's choices will be put up on the Distinguished Guest. The author's name is removed, and everyone comments on the selections and usually has fun guessing who wrote what. It's not a workshop, but people do comment critically and often very pointedly.

Then we vote and the winner receives nothing. It is a lot of fun, though, even if you don't submit anything (I rarely do).

You can look back in the archives of the Distinguished Guest forum and see last year's bake-offs. Past ones have included light verse, free verse, repeated forms, children's poetry, short poems, flash fiction, and translations.

Orwn Acra 03-22-2012 10:17 AM

Or just do what Maryann said. I type slowly.

Christopher ONeill 03-22-2012 01:04 PM

Thanks Maryann, that was what I needed.

A guy can get disoriented shopping in an unfamiliar mall.

Tim Murphy 03-22-2012 01:04 PM

Actually, Orwn, this is the eleventh sonnet bake-off since I started it in 2002 or so. All the finalists and comments are in the DG archives. The winner this year receives a 1956 Rolls Royce Silver Ghost.

Christopher ONeill 03-22-2012 01:47 PM

Thanks Orwn also.

There is such a lot to see around here, especially when you're new.

David Anthony 03-22-2012 01:59 PM

I should know but can't remember: are there any limits on what we can submit (eg workshopped/not workshopped on Erato)?
Regards,
David

Tim Murphy 03-22-2012 02:54 PM

David, I've never insisted on workshopping at the Sphere, though some of our contests so require. Ok by you, Gail?