Eratosphere

Eratosphere (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/index.php)
-   The Accomplished Members (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   An Erato First!!!! (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/showthread.php?t=956)

Michael Juster 03-09-2001 10:49 AM

I was just sitting in a bar eating lunch (really) and watching the ACC playoffs with the sound off, when I saw OUR Bob Clawson reciting a poem as part of a commercial. I think I know what it was all about, but since I could not hear it, I thought I'd see if I could egg him into telling us about it.

wendy v 03-09-2001 05:36 PM

And he looks, and sounds, just like Sean Connery, right ?

Robert J. Clawson 03-11-2001 12:39 PM

"I was just sitting in a bar eating lunch (really) and watching the ACC playoffs with the sound off, when I saw OUR Bob Clawson reciting a poem as part of a commercial. I think I know what it was all about, but since I could not hear it, I thought I'd see if I could egg him into telling us about it."

I didn't catch the game, but I assume Duke won.

What else do you want to know?

Shameless O'Clawson

Michael Juster 03-11-2001 12:56 PM

Shameless: Well, I thought perhaps you could post the poem, tell us how the commercial came about, what kind of reaction you've had, and that sort of thing. (oh, it was eventually Carolina over Clemson!).
Wendy: Well, for a stab in the dark (???), ya done OK. Closer to Connery than Mike Myers.

Robert J. Clawson 03-11-2001 11:51 PM

"Wendy: Well, for a stab in the dark (???), ya done OK. Closer to Connery than Mike Myers."

She's from Colorado? I'm amazed. I am closer to Connery, although I've also been mistaken for Mike Myers when I'm feeling kind of sprockety.

This came about because I connected. When he was hired to produce a commercial for a hospital that was developing a program to help heavy drinkers reduce their intake of alcohol, a producer who'd attended one of my Boston readings remembered my poem, "Whiskey Truth."

The commercial's had remarkable success. After it ran for a couple weeks, the hospital had it's highest monthly number of inquiries ever, a record January. By February 13, inquiries had exceeded those of January '01. The power of poetry, eh!

I keep hearing about it. I guess they keep running it. I've yet to publish "Whiskey Truth," an absolutely gorgeous poem.

Shameless O'Clawson

A. E. Stallings 03-12-2001 04:07 AM

Well if having a poem broadcast to millions of viewers ain't publishing, I'd like to know what is!

Congratulations!

wendy v 03-12-2001 07:53 AM

Hey, I never stab in the dark -- I'd prob'ly wound myself. We've had mutual friends, yadaya.

"The commercial's had remarkable success. After it ran for a couple weeks, the hospital had it's highest monthly number of inquiries ever, a record January. By February 13, inquiries had exceeded those of January '01."

Who says poetry can't matter ? That's very cool, RJ -- I remember the poem well from WC. Hearty congratulations !

wendy

Robert J. Clawson 03-12-2001 12:39 PM

"We've had mutual friends, yadaya."

In Colorado? Carvel Short? Stan Lawder? Juliette Binoche?

Bob

Robert J. Clawson 03-12-2001 12:44 PM

"Well if having a poem broadcast to millions of viewers ain't publishing, I'd like to know what is!"

A.E.: it's just a snippet from a fairly long prose poem.

Sean Meyers

Robert J. Clawson 03-16-2001 07:09 PM

For those of you interested in seeing the whole poem (it's a prose poem), I've posted it on "Other Poetry" today, March 16.

Thanks for your interest, Bob.