Eratosphere

Eratosphere (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/index.php)
-   The Accomplished Members (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Dubious Achievement (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/showthread.php?t=1148)

Michael Juster 12-15-2002 04:52 PM

Being techologically challenged, I finally made it to Amazon.com today for the first time and discovered that my "Longing For Laura" is the 1,130,000th best seller on their list. This upset me mightily, because I thought there was no chance it could drop below 750,000th. The good news is that there is only one currently left in stock, so someone must have been ordering it...
Now, if you're short a stocking stuffer for a lover, what would be more romantic than a fresh new translation of one of literature's greatest works on love? Or, if you're too preoccupied with other shopping, remember Valentine's Day is just around the corner, and aren't flowers and chocolate getting a little, well, stale? Think about it...

Len Krisak 12-15-2002 05:16 PM

Quit bitching. I'm somewhere
around 1,840,000th.

Michael Cantor 12-15-2002 06:05 PM

Len and Mike -

You should both be ashamed of yourselves! Staging a mock feud to promote book sales is the oldest press agent's trick in the world. I suggest you call a joint press conference instead, and refuse to appear on Oprah.

Meanwhile, I'll pop over to Amazon and see if they have the copy of Mike's left (I already have yours, Len). That should open up a huge lead, Mike, and maybe even get you into the top 1,000,000. You owe me.

Michael

Kevin Andrew Murphy 12-16-2002 02:01 AM

Well I'm at 1,279,044 with only five copies left, and that's for a book that came out just this month. That's the Fathom novel

The other that just came out is at 1,099,626 with only 2 in stock, for Drum into Silence.

Methinks Amazon is moving a gazillion books and just about everyone is having something that's selling a million times better than theirs.

Kevin

Tom Jardine 12-16-2002 09:59 AM

Ha! That's nothing. My book on Amazon is ranked
2,348,997!

If anyone here wants a free copy, e-mail me with
your address. It's just a paperback I printed up
myself and put on Amazon--I learned a lot doing this.

I'll post the link.

Click here: Virtual White Orchids

The book, of which I am embarrassed, full of typos and
mistakes, also has a website,

virtualwhiteorchids.com

E-mail if you want a free copy;

Click here for E-mail

[This message has been edited by Tom Jardine (edited December 16, 2002).]

Sharon Passmore 12-16-2002 10:33 AM

I sure hope everyone is getting to Amazon through the Eratosphere bookstore, so we can get the click income. There is also a function in Amazon where a person can review a book - hint hint. Not only that, but other books can be recommended - hmmmmmmm.

David Anthony 12-16-2002 11:52 AM

Well, I already own Longing for Laura, so I think I'll order some of the others to even the odds.
I believe part of the problem lies with poetry publishers, who are uncommercial and haven't much idea how to market their books.
Then again, if they were commercial I guess they wouldn't publish poetry.
I was at a party the other day, in a crowded room, and bragged to a friend that my book's in the top 10% at Amazon UK. (Mum's been buying in bulk.) Ten minutes later someone came up to me and said (in awe), 'Congratulations, I hear you've written a top ten bestseller.'
Tailor of Gloucester, move over!
Regards,
David

Tom Jardine 12-16-2002 12:19 PM

To everyone,

To add to my above offer of a free copy of my book,
(which I have not approached Alex about because my
book is not good enough to 'sell to people at large')
so as not to take bandwidth from Alex who is paying
for Ablemuse, I will send Alex a per-copy share
of $5.00 See what I am saying? I don't expect
fellow poets to pay shipping and all that for something
they may not like, and I don't want to use Ablemuse
for marketing without compensation to Alex.

So get a free poetry book (learn from my mistakes)
and Alex gets $5.00 a book.

TJ

David Anthony 12-16-2002 01:21 PM

Tom,
Fair exchange is no robbery.
Here's my address:

David Anthony
'Retreat'
Church Lane
Stoke Poges
Bucks
SL2 4NZ
UK

Send me a copy of yours (signed), along with your mailing address, and I'll reciprocate with a complimentary copy of mine.
I'll do the same trade with anyone else from Erato who's published a book.
Regards,
David

Robert Meyer 12-16-2002 04:14 PM

Cool David! I've still got a few copies of my book, "A Spleeny Lutheran" (from a couple of years back).

Robert Meyer
5905 Halehaven Drive
Las Vegas, Nevada 89110
USA