Eratosphere

Eratosphere (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/index.php)
-   The Accomplished Members (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   More world domination (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/showthread.php?t=953)

Michael Juster 01-07-2001 06:03 AM

OUR CG McDonald and I are in the most recent issue of Pivot, a worthy magazine you should know more about, which is part of a larger empire. Pivot is a rarity--it just celebrated its fiftieth anniversary as an independent journal, and has expanded from an annual to a semiannual. Historically (and still) formal-friendly while open to accessible free verse, it has in the past few years emphasized narrative poetry--arguably the only journal in the world to do so. It is run by a skilled husband/wife team of poets, Art Mortensen and Liz Holly, who also run the Expansive Poetry site which you should all check out, and Somers Rock Press, which has in the past few years published a ton of super chapbooks by New Formalists, including OUR Len Krisak and OUR Alan Sullivan. Subscriptions are $20 (Pivot. c/o Arthur Mortensen, 505 Court Stret 4N, Brooklyn NY 11231).

Richard Wakefield 01-07-2001 01:45 PM

Michael, I'll add that Pivot often publishes a clutch of poems by one poet, so the poet's voice is heard in various settings. The ran a group of seven or eight poems by me a year or two ago, and it was educational to see my own work in such a big chunk - a little alarming, too.
Richard

Carol Taylor 01-09-2001 08:07 AM

Congratulations, Michael and Richard. Michael, how often does The Formalist come out? I subscribed some months ago and haven't heard from them.

Oh, here's good news for me! Light took No Fun, thanks for everybody's help and suggestions and especially to Alicia for recommending I submit it there.

Carol

RCL 01-09-2001 09:27 AM

Congrats Carol! "No Fun" was lots of fun as it developed.

Michael Juster 01-09-2001 09:47 AM

Carol: Congrats! Light is a nice credit, and I'm sure you'll be a regular. The Formalist comes out twice a year, and the Fall/Winter issue should be out any day. Mike

Jerry H Jenkins 01-09-2001 12:54 PM

Carol,

Congratulations on your acceptance by LIGHT. It's a good periodical.

I just received my copy of The Formalist - I think you'll enjoy it. Look for 2 excellent poems from Mike.

Jerry

Jerry H Jenkins 01-09-2001 12:57 PM

Michael,

Separate and hearty congratulations to you on your publication in PIVOT.

- and, again, for your fine poems in The Formalist. Great reading.

Jerry

Michael Juster 01-09-2001 03:37 PM

Jerry: Many thanks for the kind comments. I haven't gotten the new issue yet, and I have to admit that I'm eager to see it before I head back out to London on Thursday for a week (yes, that means radio silence for a while so members should get their worst poems out of their systems while I'm gone--I want Alan and Julie to be happy to see me return).

Jennifer Reeser 01-10-2001 08:27 AM

Terrific news, C.G., Michael, on Pivot. I received my copy of The Formalist a couple of days ago, and found therein fine poems by Michael and Jerry, both, so many returns to you, as well, Jerry...Carol, too.

Continuing on the world domination theme, it occurred to me some time ago that 2/3 of the thus-far-realized Richard Wilbur Award has gone to members here -- A.E. Stallings and Len Krisak, n'est-ce pas?

Carol Taylor 01-10-2001 07:36 PM

C.G., forgive my oversight, I left your name out. Congratulations!

My copy of The Formalist arrived today so I'm off to bed to read it. How exciting that I know so many of you famous people!

Carol