Eratosphere

Eratosphere (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/index.php)
-   General Talk (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Larkin's Mop and Pop (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/showthread.php?t=9421)

Kevin Cutrer 11-25-2009 11:57 AM

Larkin's Mop and Pop

I seem to recall a thread a long time ago about "This Be the Verse," and whether or not it could be considered light verse. Well, this article is evidence that the poem was at least more tongue-in-cheek than some readers were willing to believe.

Rick Mullin 11-25-2009 12:05 PM

I'm not sure loving one's mum and pup
ever precluded their f***ing you up.

Roger Slater 11-25-2009 12:16 PM

A loving pup and loving mum
portend the f**cked up man to come

Brian Watson 11-25-2009 12:17 PM

I've always thought of This Be the Verse as a tender and loving tribute to his parents.

Janet Kenny 11-25-2009 03:06 PM

I loved my parents and they certainly f####ed me up. Loving one's parents has nothing to do with the rest of the statement. Of course he told his mother that having children was worth while. That's what one says to all mothers. And fathers come to think of it.

Truth exists on many levels as does humour.

Kate Benedict 11-27-2009 09:42 AM

The poem is a hoot, was intended as a hoot, and continues to be ... a hoot.

Richard Epstein 11-27-2009 09:56 AM

What is gained by substituting "&&&" and "###" for "uck"? Do you clothe your piano legs with bloomers? Do you insist that guests refer to legs, thighs, and breasts as dark meat and light? Do you refer to pregnancy as "an interesting condition"?

I can see insisting on "screw" or "mess" as substitutions in the sentence "&*#! you up"--it's childish, but I do see what interests are being served--but "f***ing" doesn't even disguise itself: it just advertises its prudery.

RHE

Janice D. Soderling 11-27-2009 10:26 AM

I think people are just trying to be good buddies and follow the rules of the community. We had a long and heated discussion on this topic some months ago. Asterisks are a commendable show of good will.

Richard, I think not everybody knows what is l**kung in a euphemistic f**k.

But I may be wrong because I was convinced everyone did put bloomers on their piano l*gs. Are you trying to tell me that some gross persons f**king don't?

David Rosenthal 11-27-2009 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Epstein (Post 133502)
What is gained by substituting "&&&" and "###" for "uck"? Do you clothe your piano legs with bloomers? Do you insist that guests refer to legs, thighs, and breasts as dark meat and light? Do you refer to pregnancy as "an interesting condition"?

I can see insisting on "screw" or "mess" as substitutions in the sentence "&*#! you up"--it's childish, but I do see what interests are being served--but "f***ing" doesn't even disguise itself: it just advertises its prudery.

RHE

I think the idea is not prudish but practical: it helps keep unwanted spiders and crawlers away.

As for the Larkin poem, I have never understood it as a programmatic pronouncement against childbearing, but an exceptionally eloquent expression of a sentiment many, many people can relate to from time to time.

David R.

Janet Kenny 11-27-2009 02:28 PM

Richard, regarding those piano legs, I agree with you that it is preferable to call a spade a spade. I was observing the rules.

Kate, there is a lot more than "hoot" to that poem. He means the joke, yes. But he also means the black and bitter things that most of us dare not think or say. That's why we take Larkin seriously.