Thread: Piano Mantras
View Single Post
Unread 09-06-2013, 08:23 AM

Hi, Sharon,

thanks for coming back to this with interesting comments. I wanted the visual relation between the steps and the keys to reflect that between musical pitches there are intervals referred to as steps, and also to reflect that learning to play itself comes in many steps, leading ultimately, hopefully, to musical heights. I like the observation that one rope is old and one new, as are the hands, which I hadn't connected. Like steps, ropes could also suggest something for climbing, but I wanted the knots to evoke the tangle that one's fingers may get into when starting to learn to play. I understand the nit about the star field. In this case though it felt right to have it behind my daughter with my hands holding her as she was learning to walk, because the yellow concentric bands are a tunnel in a playground that suggested to me a birth canal, and since, elementally speaking, we are children of the stars, it represented for me her having in some sense come from the heavens, and of the possibility of, in some sense, our ultimately returning there, to the music of the spheres, climbing many steps. Thanks again.

Mario