Thread: becoming myself
View Single Post
Unread 08-05-2023, 07:29 AM

Hi Susan, and welcome, and apologies that you haven't heard from me sooner.

I think your picture is vibrant and fun. It is unashamedly colourful, which I enjoy. It reminds me rather of a scarf or printed fabric, and would translate well to that medium, maybe?

I like your use of multimedia, but I wonder if it might be worthwhile considering either trying to get more textural qualities/more play with depth and colour from the paint. That, or play on the idea of the bling, rather than having it in tidy rows.

I think what I like best is the slightly surreal semi-figurative quality of the swan - the centre part of the image.

One thing that can be fun to do is to cut a small square in a piece of card, and see how your image looks when small parts of it are viewed through it, a bit like a viewfinder.

Another exercise in what I would call 'surface pattern', would be to photocopy the image and cut or tear it into small squares or units, then reassemble these - this can free up your mind - get you thinking in terms of texture and colour and how these look in different formats.

But I am not suggesting you do these, just putting them out there as potential ideas.

It is so lovely to have some visuals posted in the forum! Thank you! Welcome!

Sarah-Jane