View Single Post
Unread 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM

My favorite poem of David's: My Bulkhead Light

David clearly wrote it for the "But You Can't Write a Poem About That!" thread, but I like his later claim, which is in perfect keeping with the solemnity and dignity of the poem itself:

Quote:
Julie, yes, I wrote that one because I live adjacent to the churchyard where Gray wrote his Elegy, and I thought, let's kill two birds with one stone. Visitors to the churchyard now have the opportunity to admire my bulkhead light, which is on the garage wall.
David's efforts were key to securing legal permissions to publish M.A. Griffith's posthumous collection, and to her obituaries in the Sunday Times and the Bournemouth Echo. And his wise, witty presence at both Sonnet Central and Eratosphere encouraged many of us scribblers to keep honing our craft.

It was a great treat to meet him in London when Jayne organized a get-together when I visited with my then-sixteen-year-old daughter, who found him a very entertaining conversationalist. I was very jealous because she was sitting closer to him and laughing pretty much nonstop, while I was farther away and had trouble hearing him.

He was elected to the South Bucks District Council at least twice.

Last edited by Julie Steiner; 03-10-2024 at 05:12 PM.