View Single Post
Unread 09-26-2015, 06:57 AM

I don't notice anydecline. Beware of old person's dismay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Frisardi View Post
On a recent thread in Metrical, a few long-time Sphereans were noting the decline in intensity and interest on this website—a forum which, thanks to Alex, has been a boon to so many of us. “Things aren’t what they used to be,” was the gist.

And although it’s true that things are and never were what they used to be, the decline on the Sphere is obvious and has been going on for a quite a while now. I suppose that everyone has noted it. There are fewer dynamic discussions, less engagement, less energy, less creativity.

A number of talented people have come and gone from this site, and there is nothing surprising about that. People move on. That’s life. But there is no reason that the same energy and engagement couldn’t be maintained with an ever-renewing membership. And yet the heyday of the Sphere seems to have come and gone. Or has it? Is it just a (by now very long) phase, or an inexorable decline?

One thought I’ve had is that facebook and other social media have taken the forum’s place for a lot of people. When the Sphere started, the internet was still new and its options narrower. Another thought is that nothing good lasts forever. I’m thinking that other people here might have more interesting thoughts on the subject.

If there’s already been a thread on this, sorry about that. I haven't seen one.