View Single Post
Unread 06-05-2017, 11:48 PM

Yes indeed, thanks Rogerbob (I don't know how I should address you), for that link. I haven't read all of it yet, but just wanted to quote this:

Quote:
There is a unique "I" in the universe and it has only been entrusted to one human being: you. If that unique "I" does not somehow find expression, then the world will never know it. A precious unique "I" has failed to be experienced. That is a tragedy.

However, once that "I" has discovered and learned to express its individuality, it needs to take the next step and bring it out into the world. Each of us has something unique to contribute and no one else can bring it into the world.
I love it. I will certainly have to dig even deeper and read more of Hillel.

I won't even bother with the original Gorky quote that I picked up from another source, which caused me to want to read more about him. The quote was appalling, and I find it astonishing that someone who started out so in touch with humanity, a humanist, with a deep sympathy for the common people and for the individual, could have become what he became.

This is one of the reasons I shy away from and habitually deflect attention to myself. I think it's why I don't seek formal publication, popularity, or notoriety of any kind. It's not that I really think I'm corruptible, but I fear and resist being in any position of authority. I am uncomfortable having any kind of power.