View Single Post
Unread 02-12-2012, 12:12 PM

Lovely examples, B.J. And I agree with you about Audible recordings. There are four unabridged recordings of novels read by Martin Jarvis (David Copperfield, Great Expectations, Hard Times, Tale of Two Cities) and it's like having full-cast performances of each one.

An interesting issue of the TLS this week with a number of articles on Dickens (including two Dickens-related poems, by Carol Rumens and Alison Brackenbury). In one article there's a review of a new Selected Letters, which can be found on the paper's website at this address. After my reference above to Dickens's fondness for umbrellas and wooden legs, I was pleased to come across this passage:

Quote:
Another time, he describes asking directions in Rome of a Frenchman, “with an umbrella like a faded tropical leaf (it had not rained for six weeks), staring at nothing at all, with a snuff-box in his hand”. The Frenchman asks if the man Dickens is seeking has a servant with a wooden leg: “‘Great Heaven, sir’ said I, ‘how do I know! I should think not, but it is possible.’ ‘It is always,’ said the Frenchman, ‘possible. Almost all the things of the world are always possible’”.