View Single Post
Unread 08-23-2017, 12:42 AM

Good evening Sam,

No, I haven't. But I read Jamison's earlier book (which was IMO flawed, as my initial comment in the other thread indicated, but is on my shelves); and I did read Juster's review, which stated if I understood correctly among other claims that the only problem in Lowell's privileged existence was his mental illness. Similarly, the only problem in Steven Hawking's privileged existence is his ALS. I did work for several years at a mental health clinic, and I have some grasp of the hidden challenges - they escape people - that mental illness routinely imposes. Those challenges did not seem visible in Juster's review, and my previous post in this thread aims to redress that balance. Particularly if folks read the review and skip the book, as I did. Misrepresentation comes easy in describing people. I hope to have avoided it here.

Cheers,
John

Update: to John's point, most severe mental illnesses, such as manic depression/bipolar disorder or schizophrenia, reflect a measurable chemical imbalance in the brain. They are verifiable or at least diagnosable (and to some extent treatable). But absent Lowell's brain, we just have the diagnosis of his providers. This is my own main objection to Jamison's method: she diagnoses Byron, as I recall, in her other book.
John, I like your critical diagnosis: that Lowell is capable of arresting phrases. I think he is as well.
Update: it may be worth adding that homosexuality was listed in the (American) diagnostic manual of mental illnesses until about 1973.

Last edited by John Isbell; 08-23-2017 at 04:27 AM. Reason: word American added