View Single Post
Unread 08-26-2017, 01:42 AM

Good evening Michael,

I believe I don't have a dog in your fight. I did the following in these two threads. I stated my objections to Jamison's method. I noted the drawbacks to relying on reviews without reading the book in question. I discussed the challenges mental illness imposes. I appraised Lowell's worth as a poet. And I wrote this:
I did read Juster's review, which stated if I understood correctly among other claims that the only problem in Lowell's privileged existence was his mental illness. Similarly, the only problem in Steven Hawking's privileged existence is his ALS. I did work for several years at a mental health clinic, and I have some grasp of the hidden challenges - they escape people - that mental illness routinely imposes. Those challenges did not seem visible in Juster's review, and my previous post in this thread aims to redress that balance. Particularly if folks read the review and skip the book, as I did. Misrepresentation comes easy in describing people. I hope to have avoided it here.
If this is unfair to your review, please do feel at liberty to tell me how and where.

With all good wishes,
John