View Single Post
Unread 08-26-2017, 07:26 AM
Distinguished Guest

John:

You're 100% twisting what I said--I acknowledged that bipolar disorder was a serious problem in Lowell's life. The fact that he had state-of-the-art medical treatment (including lithium, not widely available at that time), he had a trust fund, he had friends at Ivy League schools who invariably invited him back no matter how much he damaged students, and he had incredibly supportive family & friends is also all undeniably true.

I just don't think Lowell's diagnosis is a blanket excuse for the wreckage he created, particularly his vicious violence against women. Jamison disagrees with me on that point, and that would be an important topic for you to discuss. She also asserts, without any evidence tied to dates, that he had periods of lucidity. OK then, but I don't see any breaks from dangerously violent behavior, frenetic sexual coupling, or poor treatment of people he considered lower on the social scale--or any regrets at all for his past behavior. In other words, how can one possibly make a case for his greatness as an individual--apart from the poetry? I don't see how you can, and the book is annoyingly vapid on that topic.

I also acknowledge that disgraceful human beings can be great poets--it's not hard to create that list. As I said before, my opinion on Lowell's value as a poet is not nailed down, but Jamison's book doesn't do anything to advance discussion about his literary merits.

By the way, I caught the implication in your comment and you should know that I suffer from a serious degenerative condition myself, and I have won many national awards for improving the lives of people with disabilities.

Mike