Thread: Alice Paintings
View Single Post
Unread 04-10-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon Passmore View Post
Michael, you said, speaking of commenting about the art..."believe me - I don't believe that my comments would help our relationship." I am assuming this means you don't like Ross' art. Ok, well, brutally honest comments are what will save this art board from being a vanity board. We NEED that.

Will you please critique this video as a single piece and use that skillful, scalpel tongue of yours to the art forum's benefit, speaking only of the video and not the videographer? Pretty please?
Sharon, how can I critique the video as a single piece when Ross himself states (and I agree with him on this):

Quote:
Similarly the paintings are not in any one style nor do they tell a story.
The "single piece" consists of a large number of paintings that are related to each other essentially through the electronic "painting" technique used, not by any look or style - and they range from amateurish but not awful (the first few) to childish (child-like, if you want to be generous), to (the last five or six) utter messes. As Ross indicates, there is no pattern, the pieces don't relate to one another or lead anywhere. and the accompaniment is both amateurish (there's that word again) and completely unsuitable for the paintings.

There is no sense of the strong patterns and themes and rhythms one finds in aboriginal art (check the link); and when you look at the work in the link, and then Ross's efforts, it's like comparing skilled poetry, built around a formal base and containing patterns and rhythms; to a beginners clumsy piece.

Ross also indicates (to Roger):

Quote:
it is perfectly fine with me if you don't like the paintings within the piece, but as you admit you know little about modern art, so you unable to say why you don't like the paintings, to do so you would need to have the expertise, to know the history of art and where my different styles ( 5 in the piece) fit in and how they compare. Someone who knew what they were talking about would immediately see for example that some of the paintings are influenced by Rothko, some by the op art of Riley, many by impressionist techniqes developed by for example Monet. But this is the sort of expertise not found here at Erato, so I don't expect crits to be of that nature.
I'll be a nice guy, Sharon, and leave it to you to ask yourself what this says about asking us to participate in the thread. I am, by the way, not exactly unfamiliar with Rothko (here's a link to a published poem of mine on his work, which I hope gets across the sense of it in words), or Monet, or op art, and none of them came to mind when I looked at Ross's work.

Last edited by Michael Cantor; 04-10-2015 at 06:24 PM.