Thread: Flouncing off
View Single Post
Unread 06-14-2017, 06:07 AM
Distinguished Guest

First, I apologize for hijacking this thread a bit because for me, as I have thought about it, it's really not about Bill or some other particular person who has stormed out.

Aristotle argued we do not release anger by venting it, and over time I have decided he is right.

I think Erato members would be happier & healthier if 90% of our posts were arguments about how to scan a troublesome line or the merits of Anthony Hecht versus Marilyn Hacker rather than snarkiness about Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton, Teresa May or Patty Griffin. If those kinds of arguments about those kinds of people are vital to you, social media offers just short of a bazillion flame wars you can join.

Let me be clear too, that I am not denigrating political activism. I was an activist most of my life and I respect people who go out and work for what they believe in, even if it is very different from what I believe in. It's ranting disconnected to action that gets very tiresome & crowds out other valuable interactions.

Thanks.