View Single Post
Unread 07-14-2017, 08:14 PM

Good news:

The assisted living facility I work in has received a prestigious award, the exact name of which escapes me at the moment. Anyway, we are THEEEE ONLY assisted living facility in the state of Arizona to achieve this award. There's going to be a media-thingy, and we're going to be in the local news (Internet I imagine), and in the local newspapers.

I'm a grunt. I basically do everything and anything, from washing dishes to cleaning windows to vacuuming carpets to plunging toilets. I'm also a waiter and a busboy, a prep-cook, and was referred to by one happy client's family as "The Dining Room Coordinator", which sounds really snazzy! I essentially do all foodservice/beverage tasks NOT done by the chef, plus 108 (or is that 314?) other things.

It's a small facility, with a maximum of 37 residents. We are a very small team (as you'll see in the photo upcoming, some time soon), but extremely loving and committed to making the facility as much a HOME SWEET HOME, as opposed to a 'home' (if you know what I mean) as possible. And we have evidently succeeded.

I've been in foodservice/healthcare for the elderly since 1989, and it's a career I highly recommend. I've done everything conceivable in the field, from washing dishes to dietary manager, and have even done tube feeding assessments, which are tricky. When I was in my early 30's, I was taking courses, and being tutored by a registered dietician, with the intention of being a Diet Technician.

But that all fell apart, because I'm a numbnuts. (Long story.)

Nonetheless, this is good news. YAY!

I will try to post the media stuff, or link to it, as it comes.

Last edited by William A. Baurle; 07-14-2017 at 08:16 PM.