View Single Post
Unread 05-19-2017, 05:47 PM

Hey Andrew,

Thank you for accepting the challenge to explain this to me. I remain unconvinced and sceptical. Of course there are Palestinians who fit the description you give: secular-minded, poets, strong women etc. Why wouldn't there be? People are wonderful creatures individually. Ideologies, however, can be dangerous. I want a world of freedom of speech, of expression, of equal rights for women, for gay people, of freedom of and from religion (I know. I'm a dreamer. But I'm not the only one). I just don't think that if Palestine got their way in the Middle East the result would be anything remotely resembling these ideals. Do you? Really?
As an atheist and refusenik to any form of group-think I can only say what I see and what I honestly think. I have no more respect for religion than I do for any other idea. And I think the current form of Sunni Islam — along with fascism, Mao-style communism and fundamental Christianity — is one of the world's Bad Ideas. I don't think this about Judaism, Buddhism, the Church of England or even Western-style benign capitalism. Why is this? Does it make me an Islamophobe? (answer: no) Right wing? (certainly not) A bad person? (I don't think so). You say that 'There are people that support Palestine because they are anti-Semitic schmucks. I believe they are the minority.' I'm sure that's true. Aren't there also others on the left who support Palestine because they are knee-jerk anti-American imperialism at whatever cost, who ignore the fact that the ideology of Sunni Islam is pretty much the antithesis of progressive liberal values? I realise that I probably sound like some 'alt-right' cheerleader to you now but I absolutely refuse that label. And wasn't that Bill's original point? That to have opinions that fly in the face of some prescribed, acceptable way of thinking immediately gets you labelled? All I know is that the left (whatever that means) does seem a little confused.

But just in case anyone doubts my leftist credentials, let it be known I shall be voting Labour in two weeks time as I have in every election for the last twenty years, despite Mr Corbyn being a Hamas loving terrorist sympathiser (thank you Daily Mail). So. Go Jeremy!

Cheers.

Edit: Cross posted with Bill. I still haven't watched this Horowitz guy. Sorry.

Last edited by Mark McDonnell; 05-19-2017 at 06:00 PM.