View Single Post
Unread 05-19-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McDonnell View Post
Aren't there also others on the left who support Palestine because they are knee-jerk anti-American imperialism at whatever cost, who ignore the fact that the ideology of Sunni Islam is pretty much the antithesis of progressive liberal values?
I may be wrong, being no authority on Islam, but I'm pretty sure Sunni Islam is generally more progressive than Shia Islam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McDonnell View Post
I realise that I probably sound like some 'alt-right' cheerleader to you now but I absolutely refuse that label. And wasn't that Bill's original point? That to have opinions that fly in the face of some prescribed, acceptable way of thinking immediately gets you labelled? All I know is that the left (whatever that means) does seem a little confused.
Yes, that was my entire point of starting this thread: NOT to raise Horowitz, or even Rubin (though I do think of Rubin as 'heroic' in his ability to be utterly objective, a trait which Horowitz may have had when he wrote the book I cited, but has since lost due to years of being attacked and ridiculed by the people he 'betrayed') up to hero status, but as a springboard for a discussion on the futility of political labels in today's world.

I like the interview with Larry Elder even better than the one with Horowitz. Elder is so plain speaking and so eloquent, and seems to have a much thicker skin than Horowitz.

I probably seem to a lot of my peers here as an alt-right cheerleader myself. I got into hot water for defending Milo what's-his-name a while back, and now I'm in it again for defending David Horowitz.

I wonder if I'll be in it even deeper for thinking Larry Elder has his thoughts well in order? ** Edited in: And is, at least statistically, correct on most things.

Ultimately - who cares. If you care about ideas, and you feel passionately that something is terribly wrong with the world - and that's probably all of us here, though for different reasons - then you should be able to take some heat.

Bring it!

About Israel/Palestine. I'm no Zionist, hell I'm not even Jewish, and I wouldn't call myself a passionate defender of the State of Israel, but I do know one thing: if I had to jump out of a plane with a parachute over the area, I'd sure as hell hope I landed in Israel.

Last edited by William A. Baurle; 05-20-2017 at 03:44 AM.