Thread: RECRUITING
View Single Post
Unread 06-22-2002, 03:50 AM
Distinguished Guest

Bob: I think it's a fair comment to raise--I've raised a somewhat parallel point on a different forum and I'm getting creamed for it!
To some extent, I think I am responsible for "The Accomplished Members" board, so I'm going to acknowledge some truth in what you said but defend it anyway. In the early days of Erato I started touting the accomplishments of board members with the typical "I saw a fine piece by OUR Bob Clawson in The Southern Review". I don't recall mentioning my own credits very often, if at all, but Alex made a conscious decision to encourage people to do it for what I still think are valid reasons: 1) This can be a lonely hobby, and a little recognition for a measurable accomplishment is a good thing in and of itself. 2) It helps people striving to succeed to see what their peers are doing and gives them both the energy to see what is achievable and new ideas about how to go about achieving things.
Now, do I cringe occasionally at chest beating over very thin accomplishments? Well, yeah, a little now and then, but you have to remember what a big deal the first publication is for someone just starting out even if it is likely years later that first work will make them cringe in hindsight (which is all true in my case). It's part of the growth process and I'm Ok with it.
I hear you as making two other points. It's a real risk that poetry boards lose value because egos prevent candid feedback, and they degenerate into support groups for people with low self esteem. I don't think we're there. The balance is hard, but I think Erato is blessed to have talented and hard working moderators who have kept the tone quite good, again recognizing the inevitability of posts that will make one cringe. I should just add for the record as a former moderator that I think many of us here underestimate how much time our volunteer moderators spend trying to keep things civil without turning Erato into an Internet police state.
Finally, I miss Mezey too. Annie Finch as well--even though I disagree with her on everything from scansion to politics to the best beer in West Chester. And I don't know why they don't stay. However, I do think, without intending to do so so, you've understimated some of the awesome talent that is very active here--Tony, Paul, Alicia, Alan, Tim, Deborah and the rest are widely recognized and appreciated across the country by anyone paying attention to formalism. At least intermittently we get the Sam Gwynns and the David Masons and the Rhina Espaillats, and Tim has had Wilbur and Steele and other great ones as guests, and the list of people who would be terrific to see here who we don't see isn't all that long anymore. Dana Gioia's never been here, which is ironic because I'm not sure we would have Erato without Can Poetry Matter? Charles Martin, Mary Jo Salter, and a few of my other favorites haven't shown up yet, but I think we've done purty darn good--even though you're right on that it would be better if Mezey came back.