View Single Post
Unread 03-02-2002, 06:47 AM
Distinguished Guest

Thanks everybody. As many of you know, it's been a long wait with many frustratingly close calls. Indeed, I just saw a piece in the Monadnock Review distinguishing Gail White and me from other New Formalists because we were "periodical poets" or something like that.
Many friends here have been extraordinarily helpful to me over the years. I met Alan Sullivan and Tim Murphy at the first West Chester; their support combined with their tough critical love has been a huge help to me. The long poem probably made the difference, and there would have been no long poem without the effervescent Rhina Espaillat. Sam Gwynn has been terrific on several occasions. Deborah, Len and all the Powows have been great at boosting my literary morale when I was very close to giving up.
The book will come out in 2003 and will be called "The Secret Language Of Women" (the title poem is the long poem that ran in The Formalist a few issues ago). I have followed Alicia's advice from a few West Chesters ago, and dropped most, though not quite all, of the light verse, and I am now trying to package together the light verse with the Martial and some other translations as a separate volume.
Thanks again.