Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 01-23-2014, 10:52 AM

This is what I said.

Quote:
Frankly, there are journals, here and abroad, I wouldn't want to be associated with. I wouldn't want my name, obscure as it is, linked to what they do.
Quote:
What happens when one lends one's good name to a nasty little fascist magazine is that it gives it an air of legitimacy.
Quoting Curtis
Quote:
having one's own good name attached might inaugurate unending woe. Oh, the bloodshed.
Do I hear supercilious muttering and scornful laughter in the background. I think I made my point earlier when I said that 1) I am an obscure writer 2) I submitted to a journal because the contributors included other poets whom I admired/trusted/were Eratosphere members i.e. were listed on the contributor pages.

Otherwise what Norman said; he expressed it succinctly.
Unread 01-23-2014, 11:09 AM

Janice,

I think there is the world we live in, and then there are absolutist fantasies about the world.

I have said several times that I think it's important for writers to know the journals they approach; each writer should be able to make these decisions for herself. In the world we live in, people are prone to judge others by their choice of association.

But making that choice for others, as some grand political statement about how the world works, while invoking "higher-order moral fibre" is another thing.

Minter is essentially creating a purity test, as is obvious from the bit Quincy quoted:

Quote:
As the world burns it’s simply getting too late to pretend that these things don’t matter, that the work of the imagination is somehow quarantined from the rest of what people say and do. To do so, i.e. to publish in Quadrant while simultaneously presenting sympathy for Aboriginal rights or multiculturalism or green politics, for instance, is utterly hypocritical and ethically corrupt.
If Poet X happens to be someone who supports many of the same issues Minter supports—might even pull the lever to vote on issues in a way Minter would approve—but submits a poem to Quadrant for publication, Minter will find impurity that outweighs any real action in the world.

Purity tests are nothing new. The Old Testament cultures also enacted punitive measures in an effort to maintain factional loyalty and fervor—and, distinction. One must always have absolute distinction as a precursor for righteous punishment.
Unread 01-23-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Gale Weeks View Post
What am I after all but a child, pleas'd with the sound of my own
     name? repeating it over and over;
I stand apart to hear—it never tires me.

To you your name also;
Did you think there was nothing but two or three pronunciations in
     the sound of your name?

W.W.
Truly, there are poets entirely convinced of their own relevance amid the stars. A poem about fairies and bunyips would no doubt start a revolution from which Australia could never recover; having one's own good name attached might inaugurate unending woe. Oh, the bloodshed.

I am entirely convinced of my own words relevance amid the stars. I write for my people(s). The spells fail mostly but once and a while a small bit of leverage is added to their wonder. My worth and the worth of my words is not in myself but in the magic and majesty of my peoples (human and non). It is not about being a moving poet but about being apart of moving poems, about taking not myself seriously but about taking the rest of it seriously. Much as I like the idea of the sound of names repeated over and again, and fairies for that matter, I wonder if we really get to decide that a word will not bring the bloodshed or the healing, especially with some cynical business disguised as a call to humility.

Humility for our selves but for the poems-- delusions of unmitigated f&**ing grandeur.

and what Janice said about what Norman said.

CROSSPOSTED with Curtis

Last edited by Andrew Mandelbaum; 01-23-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Unread 01-23-2014, 11:31 AM

I'll be digging my bunker double deep. And canceling all my subscriptions!

(Unless, that is, someone thinks we've gone just a tad overboard [?])
Unread 01-23-2014, 11:42 AM

From Abbott’s perspective, the periodical ignition of cultural war flashpoints keeps busy the Tea Party types who are now the pre-eminent activists of Australian conservatism. Abbott knows that if he can keep the bloggers and the Quadranters and the other tin-foil loopers focused on the specifics of the latest battle, he need worry less about delivering the unhinged policies they actually want. A review into bias in the ABC he can deliver; the privatisation of the whole corporation, not so much.

The only place in the Sparrow article linked by Quadrant that even mentions Quadrant is above. Not exactly a proclamation of a list a blacklisted poets.