Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 04-22-2012, 05:33 PM

Default I Need a Mac-friendly Website Host, Now.

On an earlier thread I mentioned that my current Microsoft website that I access through Firefox on a Mac is closing April 30. Microsoft wants me to 'transition' to a new service it will provide, or find another provider.

In that previous post I asked for recommendations for other hosting sites and got helpful answers from Bill Lantry and Uche Ogbuji, although the two differed in their preferences. Bill suggested more than one option, but did not identify which of those he preferred or what he himself actually uses, although Uche did specify the one that he uses. Since I value Bill's granular expertise in the field, I'm still interested in which or what his personal preference is. Perhaps he could tell everyone, if not just me alone.

In any case, I think I will have to avoid the new Microsoft service since it requires me to use Windows 7 on my Mac, which can be done in one of several ways, but I am unwilling to do it because of the virus vulnerability and need for countermeasures that using Windows 7 involves. I have a week to do this, since an 'easy' slide to more Microsoft hosting is now ruled out.

So I have a further, larger question: what hosting services are ideally adapted for me and my Mac?

PS I think that last question was otiose, being provoked by Microsoft's requirement of Windows 7.

Last edited by Allen Tice; 04-22-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Unread 04-22-2012, 09:49 PM

As a public service while I figure out a way to avoid a renewal of my Microsoft shackles, here is a site comparing Wordpress, Tumblr, and Posterous:

http://davidakennedy.com/blog/wordpr.../#.T5TA5-1hJ5h

I can't see why Microsoft forces one to use Windows 7 except that it's Microsoft, known for arrogance and presumption: that special Microsoft cuddliness.

Last edited by Allen Tice; 04-22-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Unread 04-23-2012, 01:51 AM

Allen,

Linux is best. Free yourself! Go with the open source option!

It'll run on your mac, too...

Thanks,

Bill
Unread 04-23-2012, 08:04 AM

Here is a link to my current front page about the ongoing change from Microsoft webhosting:

TiceWords.com

Earlier:

Bill has replied to my questions and, if I may reveal secrets, would prefer Bluehost. I'm considering iWeb on my Mac, which I'm told allows painless repositioning one's website if one gets fatigued with, let's say, godaddy (as some nameless advisor implies that he might be).

(PS: At present, I don't think iWeb gives me the flexibility I want.)

More to follow, as events develop. I might just add PSs here and not bump the thread. (Rather like I've been doing on my poem posting "At the Oracle" in Metrical --- which has garnered to date much, much more than 185 new views of my progressive revisions since I was told I was showing off and posting too often. Interesting concept, that.)

I'll consider Linux, but right now speed of delivery x throw-weight is my envelope.

Speaking of envelopes, my cheque (made out to Able Muse Review) to Alex for this wing-ding we're on is in the mail to:

Alex Pepple, Editor
Able Muse Review
467 Saratoga Avenue, #602
San Jose, CA 95129

Last edited by Allen Tice; 05-03-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Unread 04-24-2012, 06:42 PM

Probably last bump: apart from some delay with the "EPP" (don't ask unless you truly need to know) that I fought an Australian kangaroo domain name registrar for, everything has gone well enough. TiceWords as is will go black at any moment in the next few days, to re-emerge in 10 days like the Loch Ness minister higher and higher out of the fen as time passes. Bluehost is cool.
Unread 04-28-2012, 11:56 AM

This is the last bump, and intended only for those few kind souls who care about the subjects of websites and my website. Others who are uninterested should move on, nothing to see here, keep moving.

For What It's Worth: Last link to TiceWords Home as it moves to Bluehost:

http://temp.ticewordscom.officelive.com/default.aspx

To all,
there will be a period of rebuilding. Bluehost shows nothing now.
All Best,
Allen Tice
Unread 05-03-2012, 09:57 AM

It's not a true bump. My plea is justifiable gratitude to Bill Lantry. A link to the new site is here (click on the sunglasses) :