Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 10-27-2002, 01:57 PM
Lariat Emeritus

OUR Gail White and OUR Susan McLean now have their new chapbooks at the New Formalist's ebook site: http://www.newformalist.com/ebooks/mclean.html http://www.newformalist.com/ebooks/white.html
Master of Memory Bob Mezey's will be up in a day or so, and I'm very pleased to tell you that OUR old friend, Wiley Clements, has favored us with a manuscript which we shall see very shortly. Felicitations, congratulations, and many thanks to our four new contributors.
Unread 10-28-2002, 05:49 AM
Lariat Emeritus

Wiley Clements' (Golias to us) ebook is up and can be linked to via either of the above links. Rhina is delighted that no longer has the distinction of being the oldest poet in the series!
Unread 10-28-2002, 03:45 PM

Tim:
Wonderful news. The ebook series is becoming a fine library of contemporary formal verse -- I'm just hoping they don't raise the bar so high that they have to start culling...
Richard
Unread 10-28-2002, 04:56 PM
Lariat Emeritus

Richard, I wouldn't worry about your being culled. Ain't goin' to happen, 'cause your ebook is so bloody fine. More news: Wendy Videlock (wendyV) and I are working on her manuscript, which is sheer magic. This project is bloomin' an' blossomin', and I thank all the contributors. This just in from our Mother Superior, Rhina, on the three new entries:

Dear Tim and Leo,

I've just read the latest three ebooks, and am overjoyed! Gail White, as you know, Tim, is one of my favorites, and has put her talents on display in this sampling: the wry humor, the unobtrusive wisdom, the
verbal grace and unexpected smack of wit are all here. What a treat, and what a wonderful introduction to her work for those readers unfortunate enough not to have found her until now!

The Catullus translations by Susan McLean are a double joy: not only are they fresh, sassy, musical and true to the spirit of the original, but they are the work of a poet I had the privilege of teaching in my "fixed forms" workshop at the West Chester Conference this year.
I'm delighted--but not at all surprised--to find work of such quality by her on this website, and look forward to more!

Wiley Clements is a discovery for me, and one I'm glad to be making: these are strong, lovely poems, lyrical over the sad undertow of their themes. I love his evocations of war, and his "Fall Epigram" is a gem, but I think my favorites are his tributes to Frost and Wilde.

And kudos to you both, for finding so much fine poetry and enriching the site with it!

love, Rhina

Unread 10-29-2002, 02:24 AM

Tim, I am absolutely delighted to see Wiley Clements ebook included. I didn't think the series could have been more distinguised, (present author excepted), I was wrong, Wiley's inclusion gives it a cachet non-pareil.

Jim
Unread 10-29-2002, 09:32 AM
Lariat Emeritus

Jamie me boy, I couldn't agree with ye more. When the subject was proposed I sent Wiley a sufficiently persuasive email that a fine manuscript arrived within a day or two. However this series will become even more accomplished as Dick Davis, Bob Mezey, and Wendy V appear. News flash: I am so taken with Terese Coe's Ronsard that I have persuaded her to undertake a translation of R that will compare favorably with Susan's Catullus. Terese will be posting her drafts on Deep End, and I have seen enough already that I am ecstatic at the prospect of adding this to the repertoire.
Unread 10-30-2002, 10:14 AM
Lariat Emeritus

Wendy's chappie is up at the e-book site. Warmest congratulations to Wendy. Translating Ronsard: He is so inconceivably great a poet, that I am going to turn Lariat into a workshop, starting Monday. Terese will be my guest, and we ask all you Francophones to help us with Terese's drafts. T and I hope to see Deep End savagery applied to her Englishings of Ronsard, one of the greatest lyric poets who ever graced the Earth.
Unread 10-30-2002, 11:33 AM

Wendy, "A Slender Wrist" is incomparably beautiful. Congratulations.

------------------
Bill
Unread 10-30-2002, 12:04 PM
Distinguished Guest

Lovely work by some of my favorite people--and all stylishly displayed!!!!
Unread 10-30-2002, 12:33 PM

Wow, it looks like the Erato member list in there.
Wendy - Congrats from a long-time fan