Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Closed Thread
Unread 08-04-2016, 06:00 AM

I went to a "Meet-Up" event Tuesday. It was a chance to try out Virtual Reality on the Oculus Rift with the "Greenville Old Geeks" group. That was happiness #1...
I invited my teenage son to join me. He agreed and we had a great time together. That was happiness #2 AND a miracle...
The event was held in a place called "Synergy Mill Makespace" which is a community workshop where members can use all sorts of equipment, like 3D printers, saws, laser cutting gizmos etc... I met some nice people and found this amazing resource. Happiness #3
Unread 08-04-2016, 10:18 AM

Jayne, I never won beans on a scratch card, so I send congratulations to your son and daughter!

Also to Max on the Shakespeare collaboration in the works.

And pleased to see that nature provides new glimpses of joy everywhere.
Unread 08-06-2016, 08:41 AM

I watched a fawn nurse its mother down by the pond below my house and saw the fawn a little later in the tall grass, only the top of his back and his nose visible as he grazed just at daylight.
Unread 08-06-2016, 09:43 AM

Saw and heard a cardinal bird. High pitched note. Heard that first. Flew (bounced almost) from roof (or tree) to tree to bush, then away across small roadway to tree, then away entirely.
Unread 08-08-2016, 02:31 PM
Administrator

We have a huge lime tree in the garden and I moved my car close to it to leave more space on the drive for friends to park their cars, as we had a party at the weekend. I completely forgot that the tree exudes a sticky substance, and my car ended up totally plastered with a thick layer of tacky goo.

My dear husband has been outside washing the car for ages, while I'm sitting here with a nice glass of wine.

(I've always worked hard and kept busy but there are two things I won't do: wash a car or mow the lawn! Has there ever been a thread called 'Things I Hate Doing', I wonder?)

. . . And speaking of husbands (not like mine) I'll be tempted to bump this thread in a few months' time when there's good news that Helen is out of prison in The Archers, which might mean something to some of you If not, see the link for the riveting storyline.

Jayne
Unread 08-08-2016, 02:37 PM

Or when Rob's in...
Unread 08-08-2016, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Oh yes! Or he's trampled to death by a mad cow . . . or something.
Unread 08-08-2016, 05:14 PM
Administrator

I have another bit of good news to relate . . .

I'm Chairman of our local U3A (University of the Third Age) and a member was looking after her 13 year-old grandson and brought him along to our monthly meeting. He asked her, "How old is Jayne?'' His grandmother said, "I'm not sure, but I think she must be in her 60s.''

The delightful boy replied, "But she looks about the same age as my Mum." His Mum is 45!!

It made my day year

Jayne
Unread 08-08-2016, 07:24 PM

In my nation we have a cottage industry where people in artificial metal tunnels use big friendly machines that whirl and oscillate soapsuds over automobiles for the price of a cheap meal. I used one when a daughter parked under 2,000 pigeons one night. We can send you floor plans, but you have to drive on the other side to use them I suppose. (Just a tease. Smile)
Unread 08-10-2016, 04:50 AM

Bravely battling with Windows 10, I have discovered that the clue to mastering it lies in the translation. Once you can work out what “they” are now calling the thing that you’ve been sucking eggwise from the moment of first-doc, you’re Win-ning.

Now it is Messrs Hewlett Packard that are driving me to the back door of the booby-hatch. They keep sending pop-up messages which make no sense and which defy blocking and uninstallation. Dear hearts, why do you keep sending me a message welcoming me to my new device? I can click on the cross at the top, or on the box saying “done” and it disappears, only to pop up again a few minutes later, going “Boo!” like a look-at-me toddler.

And now – the Good News. It was that last analogy that gave me the clue. Tired of greeting its every appearance with “George – don’t do that” I bethunk me of a way of besting it, based on hard-won parenting skills.

You see, reacting to it with any sort of click clearly encourages it. Now, in every session, as soon as it makes its first appearance, I take it firmly by the cursor and march it uppards, beyond the top limit of my desktop screen, and leave it there. I can just see the edges of its little blue toes peeping over the edge of the Naughty Step, but it can’t come down till I say so. Gotcher!
Closed Thread