Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 02-20-2017, 05:42 PM

Default Whitman novel rediscovered

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/20/a...e=sectionfront
Unread 02-20-2017, 06:21 PM

A part of Emerson's response to reading the first edition of Leaves of Grass--though I doubt he suspected all that prose in Whitman's "foreground":

I greet you at the beginning of a great career, which yet must have had a long foreground somewhere, for such a start. I rubbed my eyes a little, to see if this sunbeam were no illusion; but the solid sense of the book is a sober certainty. It has the best merits, namely, of fortifying and encouraging.

Emerson was very annoyed when Whitman quickly released another edition with the first sentence printed on its cover!

Last edited by RCL; 02-20-2017 at 07:13 PM.
Unread 02-20-2017, 07:06 PM

I think I recall reading that Whitman continually revised “Leaves of Grass” almost to his death. Not sure I’ll go in for reading the novel, but I got a chuckle out of this on his juvenilia:

“My serious wish,” he wrote in 1882, “were to have all those crude and boyish pieces quietly dropp’d in oblivion.” In 1891, when a critic was planning on republishing some of his early tales, he was blunt: “I should almost be tempted to shoot him if I had an opportunity.”
Unread 02-20-2017, 07:24 PM

Oh, boy!

This thread will contain multitudes.
Unread 02-21-2017, 08:21 AM

I skimmed Franklin Evans last night. Very curious piece of work. WW said he got $75 up front and another $50 a month or so later. It's online.
Unread 02-21-2017, 06:19 PM

I'm going to take a look around and see if I can download something or at least read a chunk of one of Whitman's novels. I had no idea he wrote so many. I had no idea he wrote any at all. I always thought of him as journalist turned poet. I knew he wrote formal poetry, but was in the dark about his stories and novels.

Didn't Mark Twain write a naughty novel? I believe he said something like, "If there's a single decent sentence in there, it was an accident."

The Victorian age was steeped in erotica written by who knows. I've read a few of those novels, one which is particularly famous. I couldn't get through all of it. This man was seriously twisted. I can only wonder who he was. The prose was excellent. I'll see if I can locate the title.
Unread 02-21-2017, 11:18 PM

The autobiography of Frank Harris will tell you more that you need to know about late Victorian/Edwardian sexual mores.
Unread 02-22-2017, 12:23 AM

Found the whole dang thing online [link posted, but now removed at Bill's request]. Am reading it now. Well, reading a bit of it, then going back to here, then back to it...

Thanks!

[Julie Steiner says: Bill's having technical difficulties and is unable to edit this post, so I've added this bit, which he sent me by PM, regarding the Frank Harris book: "Since I NOW know that the book was written by a thrill-seeking hedonist with absolutely so self-restraint, I'm no longer interested in reading the book."]

Last edited by Julie Steiner; 02-23-2017 at 09:59 AM. Reason: added link; deleted bits; added note; JS added text