Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 06-26-2015, 05:14 PM
Administrator

When John and I judged a competition together we didn't subscribe to the "No entrant may win more than one prize" rule. In fact, if I recall correctly, Martin (Parker) won more than one prize and a Highly Commended... or something like that... I forget the precise details.

This has been discussed here before so I won't labour it... except to say that, if the judge chooses his/her favourite poems and it turns out subsequently that they were written by the same person, why shouldn't that person win 1st and 2nd prize, or 2nd and 3rd... or whatever permutation... ?

Otherwise, you might as well submit just one poem. Why pay several pounds for multiple entries? It's a daft rule, IMO.

Aside from that, it looks like a good competition - with an excellent judge!
Unread 07-04-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayne Osborn View Post
... if the judge chooses his/her favourite poems and it turns out subsequently that they were written by the same person, why shouldn't that person win 1st and 2nd prize, or 2nd and 3rd... or whatever permutation... ?

Otherwise, you might as well submit just one poem. Why pay several pounds for multiple entries? It's a daft rule, IMO.
Jayne, I agree with you that if "blind judging" is used, then the best entries should win, even if they're all by the same person. Otherwise, the competition organizers are in effect saying "These were only the fourth- and fifth-best entries, but we are arbitrarily awarding them second and third prize." Everyone, including those who don't enter but read the results, loses.

However, I don't agree that there is no point in submitting multiple entries. I usually sent between 3 and 5 entries to the Flash 500 competition, and on the occasions that I won or reached the shortlist, it wasn't always with what I thought was my best piece. Judges are unpredictable, and unfortunately (present company, of course, excepted) they don't always possess my own acumen, taste, vast literary knowledge, and powers of discernment. If I'd sent only one entry, I might be 250 quid poorer today!

Last edited by Brian Allgar; 07-04-2015 at 11:24 AM.
Unread 07-04-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Goodman View Post
I'm interested in poets' thoughts about the site and about fee-based competitions in general.
Max, as far as I can see, virtually all competitions that offer cash prizes (with the exception of UK magazines like The Spectator, etc.) are fee-based - that, after all, is where the prize money comes from.

Of course, there are excellent light verse sites such as Lighten Up Online and Light in which it is always a pleasure to appear, and for which there are no submission fees - but the prizes are, of course, commensurate with the fees.
Unread 07-05-2015, 05:05 AM

Wise words about multiple entries, Brian, and unpredictable judges and fees.

However, not sure I agree about not rationing the winners to one prize apiece. What I saw of the Flash 500 winning entries, gave me, besides more evidence for judges' unpredictability, the strong impression that it would be difficult to establish an objective pecking order within half a dozen prize-worthy entries, so for me it comes down to a particular judge's predilections and taste. (Somewhat less subjective if there are several judges?)

I would have thought from the organiser's point of view it might encourage more entries if the Big Beasts are restricted, while, hopefully, not discouraging those of the Allgarian multiple entry persuasion.

Thanks for the LUPO bouquet. Its competition will for the time being continue to pay not in pounds, dollars or Euros, but kudos, a currency even modern Greek politicians can't molest.

Last edited by Jerome Betts; 10-15-2015 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Typo
Unread 10-15-2015, 12:50 PM

The inaugural Light Verse Unlimited competition is currently in the process of being judged by Martin Parker.
The next LVU competition (closing date December 31st 2015) is now up and running and will be judged by Helena Nelson of Happenstance. Details at:
http://www.writerscomp-resources.com/index.php/competition
Unread 10-27-2015, 04:20 PM

The first LVU competition, judged by Martin Parker, was won by Helen Meikle from Australia, Congratulations to new member Laura J. Bobrow, who gained the third of the three prizes, and Duncan McLaurin for a Special Mention.

The shortlist, the three winning entries, the judge's comments and details of the next competition, closing December 31st and judged by Helena Nelson, can be found at http://www.writerscomp-resources.com...hp/competition
Unread 10-27-2015, 05:45 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the update, Jerome. I enjoyed the winning poems chosen by Martin.

Congrats to Duncan for a Mensh ("new member" Laura joined six years ago but has yet to post anything here... maybe this prize will prompt her to join us properly )

Jayne
Unread 10-28-2015, 03:20 AM

When are you going to judge a competition, Brian? I'd enter that because:

Your taste is impeccable.

You couldn't enter it yourself.

Last edited by John Whitworth; 10-28-2015 at 03:45 AM.
Unread 10-31-2015, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Whitworth View Post
When are you going to judge a competition, Brian? I'd enter that because:

Your taste is impeccable.

You couldn't enter it yourself.
What? Not even with a pseudonym?
Unread 10-31-2015, 11:59 AM

Anthony Burgess once reviewed his own book using his real name. It was a very fair review but it was frowned upon.