Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Closed Thread
Unread 05-18-2016, 06:00 PM
Administrator

I agree with Max and I think it was unwise of Sam to start this thread in the first place. He said himself it was a rhetorical question - so what exactly was the point?

I've already suggested (post #90) that we call it a day... but now we're into a three-figure thread. Is there any benefit to be gained by continuing it? Surely not.

Quincy summed it up extremely well! (#95)

Jayne
Unread 05-18-2016, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayne Osborn View Post
I've already suggested (post #90) that we call it a day... but now we're into a three-figure thread. Is there any benefit to be gained by continuing it? Surely not.
I agree. What's more, I don't think Sam's original query (i.e. the reason for this thread's creation) can be answered objectively or even hypothetically at this point. I'm going to make the slightly bold, slightly controversial move of closing this thread. Sam's a mod, and he can open it back up if he likes, but I'm seeing nothing but unproductive griping here. Well-stated griping in some cases, but griping nonetheless.

For what it's worth, I have no dog in this hunt.
Unread 05-18-2016, 09:14 PM

I would prefer that this thread not be closed. There us one person in particular who has some pertinent information. That person had to leave on a trip today (to yet another writer's conference), and her Eratosphere membership application was not approved until the trip began. She is a senior West Chester University faculty member.

This is General Talk. The conversation here does not reflect on Eratosphere in any way, and there have been no ad hom statements made about any Eratosphere members as far as I can tell. At least, no one has lodged such a complaint.

A recent political thread eventually descended into name-calling and resulted in warnings and suspensions, and I believe it was closed. Nothing here has even approached that level of rancor.
Unread 05-18-2016, 09:35 PM

Sam, with all due respect (and I mean that sincerely), I don't think you can be impartial on this call. Jayne and I both feel strongly that this thread has run its course. We can reach out to Alex to make the final decision, if you'd like.
Unread 05-19-2016, 09:56 AM

I will defer to Alex's judgment.
Closed Thread