Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 10-03-2014, 06:18 PM

Default West Chester alternatives in 2015?

Since we can be fairly certain that there will be no West Chester conference in 2015, it seems to me that we should be looking for other ways and places to be with each other next year.

Sure, we can take trips and see each other in small groups at regional readings, and those things will happen as a matter of course. And some of us will get together at AWP. But maybe we should look at what else there is. Or what else there could be.

If you can only do expensive travel once a year, you might want see all the people you can at one go, so:

For one thing, there is a conference in July at Western State Colorado University, one that looks very much like West Chester by the publicity available now, and with some of the same personnel. (Here is a link to the list of faculty and panelists; other info nearby on sidebar.)

For another, Allison Joseph has asked whether there is interest in a possible meeting at or near the University of Evansville. And right now, that's what I'm specifically trying to find out. How many are interested in meeting in the land of Measure, at least just to get together?

Thoughts?

Last edited by Maryann Corbett; 10-03-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Unread 10-03-2014, 06:41 PM

Interesting idea. To be honest, the odds of our getting to Illinois are slim. On the other hand, the odds of our getting to Gunnison, Colorado are non-existent...

But, like I said, it's a great idea. Is Allison really willing to organize something? Sounds like a major headache...

Best of luck,

Bill
Unread 10-03-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.F. Lantry View Post
Is Allison really willing to organize something? Sounds like a major headache...
She expresses willingness (on a recent FB thread of mine) to find out what the local hotels will offer in terms of a deal, if there's enough interest. I'm sure it's too late to actually plan anything like a program, but if a sizable number of people could come, at least we'd see each other. We can think about what's possible.

Editing back: Let me stress that I'm only talking about 2015. I'm not talking about any permanent shift or replacement for West Chester. I know that location works ideally for the East Coast crowd who are its regulars.

Last edited by Maryann Corbett; 10-03-2014 at 07:11 PM.
Unread 10-03-2014, 07:56 PM

Default Yes yes yes yes yes

Yes, I am VERY interested. I had planned to come back this summer after a long hiatus and was in the very early stages of discussing a project with Kim some time before she was reassigned. Everything depends on the scheduling gods, but I am way overdue for a tuneup.
Unread 10-03-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin-Kemp View Post
she was reassigned.
She was unceremoniously, unfairly, and stupidly fired from her position as director of the conference. I'm not picking on you, Robin, but feeling annoyed at this soft-pedal "reassigned" euphemism.

Carry on.
Unread 10-03-2014, 08:32 PM

I am charged this weekend with putting a proposal together for the Richard Stockton College of NJ (Based in Galloway, NJ, close to Atlantic City) to host some form of Poetry Conference next June as an alternative/substitute for West Chester.

I have run this by my superiors at RSCNJ and they are interested, to say the least. More importantly, they had recently, by coincidence, put in place some infrastructure which would allow them to host such an event more readily, and were already actively considering the kind of events they wished to run.

I imagine next June would be shorter, smaller (and cheaper) than West Chester, but similar in format i.e. paying participants staying in college dorms attend panels, workshops/seminars and readings.

I'll let you know more when I've given my presentation of said proposal on Tuesday.

Editing in: Just to add that Kim knows about this and would be involved at least in the capacity of a paid advisor.

Last edited by Anna M Evans; 10-03-2014 at 08:38 PM.
Unread 10-03-2014, 08:41 PM

Anna, This sounds like it would work for me. I wish you the best in your proposal.
Unread 10-03-2014, 10:08 PM

That would work for me. I have been mourning the loss of what is a very significant part of my writing year. I will be attending AWP this year because it is near me, but it is no substitute for anyone who is interested in formal poetry.

Susan
Unread 10-04-2014, 02:34 PM

http://issuu.com/wcuofpa/docs/wcu_magazine_summer2014
Unread 10-04-2014, 03:08 PM

Sam--

I never read the alumni magazines of the schools I actually attended--can you let us know what article/pages we should be reading? The article on the 2014 conference was pretty boilerplate.

Quincy