Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 05-16-2017, 08:20 PM

No, I think we're at the end game now. He has very much broken laws if you believe Comey, as everyone does. It's the same thing that forced Nixon to resign. He's toast.
Unread 05-17-2017, 05:42 AM

We'll see what we will see.

I remember the good old days back in 2016 when Trump's candidacy was most surely going to end with his outrageous statement that McCain was not a war hero. Since then we've been inundated with a barrage of slanderous lies and overwhelming stupidity. He has money and lawyers to do all his talking when it comes to protecting his world of dystopia.
But, of course, I hope you're right this time.
Unread 05-17-2017, 06:00 AM

Bill: "Pope Francis's statement actually agrees with Howowitz in comparing corruption to gangrene, in that gangrene can be excised and eliminated without harm to the greater body, whereas communism is more like a malignant cancer that invades and corrupts the entire system, usually fatally."

Does it? I can still see Russia from my backyard
I must give it some deeper thought, but from where I am now I see it the opposite of you. It's corruption that is malignant cancer. It's the 'ism's that are routinely excised and eliminated.

"The Pope Francis quote strikes me as being profoundly ironic, being that the Catholic church is one of the most historically corrupt institutions the world has ever known. But that's for a different thread."

Yes, different thread. But if every leader had to assume the mantle of the ones that came before him/her where would we be? The world would be a huddled mess of remorse (which is a very catholic thing to be, btw).

Pope Francis is a good man. Horowitz is an intellectual. I can relate to Pope Francis. I can't argue with Horowitz.

I'm a slow thinker. My mind is a hoarder. I must give it more thought.
Unread 05-17-2017, 09:40 AM

To the various strings of adjectives posted by Roger and Michael, I will add (and have also done so elsewhere in the past): sadistic, vindictive, psychopathic, contemptuous, and predatory. Let's not forget violently sexist, racist, bigoted, and capricious; a creep who toadies up to evil and power in the knowledge that they have served him well in the past. What in any other context would be called a madman.
Unread 05-17-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moonan View Post
Bill: [i]

Pope Francis is a good man. Horowitz is an intellectual. I can relate to Pope Francis. I can't argue with Horowitz.

I'm a slow thinker. My mind is a hoarder. I must give it more thought.
Well, corruption and communism are both rotten, but I don't think all "isms" are automatically bad.

I only know Horowitz from having read one of his books, which came out in 1998, but I have no disagreements with anything in the entire book. Matter of fact, I have virtually every page dog-eared or otherwise marked.

I have seen that he's gone much farther to the right since that book, so perhaps I should read one of his newer ones to get a better grip. As I keep saying, I find little to agree with in the far right or the far left.

I'm sorry I brought him up. I'm also sorry I get involved in these political threads on the Sphere, which used to have more voices from the right, or center, like Tim Murphy, Alan Sullivan, Jennifer Reeser, and Bill Carpenter. Not much of a balance of thought anymore, regrettably.

I'll be extremely happy when Trump is finally ousted, which should happen long before his first term is over. I see that Al Green has called for his impeachment.

Last edited by William A. Baurle; 05-17-2017 at 04:22 PM.
Unread 05-17-2017, 04:46 PM

Ann, I think you're right about his hair, which is too bad. It rather spoils the comparison with Custer.
Unread 05-17-2017, 07:02 PM

No need to feel sorry for having entered into the quagmire. If anyone should stay away from these kinds of discussions it would be me, the "Low Informed". You do your homework. I wax stupidly about things I know little about. I would think that Horowitz is a good man, too. Just not Pope material

Bill: Well, corruption and communism are both rotten, but I don't think all "isms" are automatically bad.

I wasn't saying all isms are bad, just that they come and go. But corruption - now that's a different matter. It's the only aspect of the bible I fear. The apple tree. Forgive me for rambling. I'm a bundle of nerves these days. Here comes another big

Since Trump de-escalated himself into the race for president (we knew right then on the escalator ride we were descending into a Dante's Inferno) a nerve was struck and then poked and prodded over and over to the point of turning us all into nervous wrecks. Never underestimate the damage a narcissist can do. And the moral of the story? What moral? There is none.
Unread 05-18-2017, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moonan View Post
No need to feel sorry for having entered into the quagmire. If anyone should stay away from these kinds of discussions it would be me, the "Low Informed". You do your homework. I wax stupidly about things I know little about. I would think that Horowitz is a good man, too. Just not Pope material

Bill: Well, corruption and communism are both rotten, but I don't think all "isms" are automatically bad.

I wasn't saying all isms are bad, just that they come and go. But corruption - now that's a different matter. It's the only aspect of the bible I fear. The apple tree. Forgive me for rambling. I'm a bundle of nerves these days. Here comes another big
You don't strike me as being low-informed in the least, Jim. Quite the contrary, and you do quite well in these discussions, whereas I usually wind up getting too defensive, which can never have good results.

What happened with David Horowitz over the years was he became so used to going on the defensive — having been lambasted by his peers, friends, and family for leaving the Left, where he'd been for forty years, being the son of "card-carrying communists" (his own words) — that he finally went on the offensive. And seems to have offended many.

Anyway, I see now that bringing his name up is a good way to start a shit-storm. Good thing I didn't mention Ayn Ra...oh nevermind, I better not. Here's a big one for you too:
Unread 05-27-2017, 12:31 PM

And if he has to let Jared Kushner go as the latest part of the Russian scandal, I think there will be nothing left but obvious evil.

I'm convinced now that this whole thing from the beginning was about enriching the Trump family even further. "I am your voice" my ass.
Unread 05-27-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail White View Post
And if he has to let Jared Kushner go as the latest part of the Russian scandal, I think there will be nothing left but obvious evil.
Corrupt, idiotic, sure. You want "evil", type in "terrorist graphic photos" in any search engine. Gays are being caned in Indonesia, Venezuela is falling apart, and millions of people are suffering in China, etc, etc. There is real evil, all over the world.

Sure, he's a buffoon. When I saw the video of him pushing past Dusko Markovic, I was reminded of every big, bear-pawed bully I've faced up to in my life, including my own brother. Makes me sick. But let's keep things in perspective. He'll probably be impeached, or, short of that, he certainly won't be elected for a second term.

I don't like the guy, and I did not vote for him. I'm not defending him—I'm simply asking for perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail White View Post
I'm convinced now that this whole thing from the beginning was about enriching the Trump family even further. "I am your voice" my ass.
That might very well be true, unfortunately.

Last edited by William A. Baurle; 05-27-2017 at 03:16 PM.