Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 02-15-2017, 07:41 AM
Distinguished Guest

Default Pope Francis and the Dakota Access Pipeline

I always love it when the Pope's got my back....

https://www.ncronline.org/blogs/ncr-...eoples-consent
Unread 02-15-2017, 09:01 AM

Careful, Jennifer. That's where most knives end up.

Ah! The Catholic Church. That great friend of indigenous peoples. I hope I'm wrong. I'm not sure how I feel about this pope just yet. I would like to see more action and less words from him. Maybe someone could set me straight on his efforts.

Greg
Unread 02-15-2017, 11:36 AM
Distinguished Guest

Greg, that is a great...point. Thanks. I will attempt to temper my enthusiasm, so as to avoid certain death.

Natives and the Catholic church -- what could possibly go wrong?

J
Unread 02-16-2017, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Reeser View Post
Greg, that is a great...point. Thanks. I will attempt to temper my enthusiasm, so as to avoid certain death.

Natives and the Catholic church -- what could possibly go wrong?

J
I pray for one tenth of your strength, Jennifer.

I mean, one one-hundredth.

I'll never forget The Lalaurie Horror

I will get around to reading your other books.

<3 < Facebook style : )
Unread 02-16-2017, 07:16 AM

The Church has been on both the right side and wrong side of history through its long existence.

From the webpage of the small town of Madison, Maine;

Old Point Monument is a landmark of interest to every student of the history of New England and is of special interest to citizens of Madison for, here, within her bounds, came the tragic end of the Norridgewock tribe of Abenaki Indians who had for generations roamed this region unmolested.

The death of Reverend Father Sebastian Rasle and the wiping out of the Norridgewock Indians was due to warring between the English and the French to obtain the portion of land where the Indian settlement was located. The monument, erected in 1833 on the supposed site of the massacre by English troops, stands as a silent reminder of the life and labors of a man whose only offense was devotion to the people he served.

The first recorded arrival of the white man to Madison is that of Reverend Father Druillette, who passed through this town in 1646 on his way to Cushnoc (Augusta) to establish a Mission in response to a request for a mission by the Abernaquois Indians in this section. The second recorded arrival of the white man here is that of Reverend Father Rasle who settled here, according to some historians, in 1697. He was the builder of the first church edifice in town. The interior of this church was said to be extremely beautiful for the time and place.

The story of the events leading to the death of Reverend Father Rasle is one of dramatic interest. Father Rasle, giving the Indians counsel and acting as their representative in many conferences with their enemies, won the hatred of the English. Affairs reached a climax when a formal notice was given to the English by the Indians to vacate certain Indian lands of which they had taken possession. This notice caused trouble between the Indians and the white settlements. The English, considering Reverend Father Rasle responsible for the attitude of the Indians, offered a large reward for his capture. Troops were called out and three times an expedition was sent out for the capture of Father Rasle, but they were unsuccessful.

The fourth attempt was made in August, 1724, when English troops, led by Captains Moulton and Harmon, set out from Boston, coming up the Kennebec River in whale boats. On August 24, in a surprise attack, they advanced upon the Indian village which was at once in a panic. Father Rasle, riddled with bullets, fell at the foot of the cross he had erected with his own hands. By his side were several loyal followers, seven of whom died with him. Other indians, in the attempt to defend their homes, were killed and wounded.

The purpose of the expedition was accomplished and the village wiped out as the few Indians who survived fled to St. Francis, never to return to this valley which had been a peaceful home for years before knowledge of the white man.

A granite monument, bearing the name of Reverend Father Rasle, who gave his whole life even to death itself to the betterment of his Indian neighbors, was erected in 1833.

Last edited by Douglas G. Brown; 02-16-2017 at 07:20 AM.
Unread 02-16-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas G. Brown View Post
The Church has been on both the right side and wrong side of history through its long existence.
Doug,

That's a nice story. Of course, the actions of an individual are very different from "The Church."

Also, town websites (especially in New England) are extremely biased in historical representations of the truth when it comes to Native issues. For example,

"The monument, erected in 1833 on the supposed site of the massacre by English troops, stands as a silent reminder of the life and labors of a man whose only offense was devotion to the people he served. (emphasis mine).

I'm sure Father Rasle was not furthering the culture, language and religious beliefs of the Norridgewock Indians.

Greg
Unread 02-16-2017, 03:29 PM
Distinguished Guest

William, that is so generous, and much appreciated.
Unread 02-16-2017, 05:02 PM

As far as I can tell, he's a good man. I think history is a big reason why he's the pope now. Whatever disagreements many, including myself, may have with him (and the church), he focuses on poverty. And that's right on the money.
Unread 02-17-2017, 02:37 PM
Distinguished Guest

He strikes me as a good man, too.

A story has been thoughtfully offered to me in this thread. I will answer with one of my own, to restore balance.

This is a Cherokee anecdote, which I feel is applicable to the situation of ever-growing encroachment and loss of identity which I feel threatens the Native American people today -- and which grieves me.

Once, there was a Cherokee medicine man who would go to the holy place when his people were in need of a miracle. He would light the fire in a prescribed manner, he would dance a precise dance, he would say the words of the sacred formula, and the miracle would be accomplished.

Later, his successor came along. The place, though, had been lost, but nevertheless, he said, "Great Spirit, I do not know the place, but I can light the fire, dance the dance, and say the words." And the miracle would be accomplished.

Then came the next generation, and the new medicine man, who prayed, "Great Spirit, I do not know the place, I do not know how to light the fire, but I can dance the dance, and say the words." And the miracle would be accomplished.

Again, he was replaced. This time, his successor addressed the Great Spirit, "I do not know the place, I cannot light the fire, nor do I know the dance, but I can say the words." And the miracle would be accomplished.

Finally came the last of the medicine men. All he could do was sit and say, "Great Spirit, I do not know the way to the holy place, nor how to light the fire, dance the dance, or say the sacred words, but I can believe." And the miracle was accomplished.

It is a simple but profound lesson, about tenacity and determination. As the Native American culture is more and more diminished by outside forces such as in this anecdote, as loss piles upon loss, I hope that the soul of the people survives, in just this way.

A good weekend to all.

J