Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 03-14-2015, 08:08 AM

Default Super Pi Day + Albert

It is Super Pi Day if you live in the right place. 3.1415. But for those in countries that follow the International Standard Organization (a.k.a. ISO) you will have to content yourself with it being Einstein's birthday.

But though we are an ISO standards country, yesterday and today have provided some mind-boggling broadcasts. What is going on in the United States besides pie eating? Is it being noticed in the UK, Canada, Australia or wherever you happen to be today?
Unread 03-14-2015, 08:31 AM

Default Confused of Sheffield

Super Pi Day? Is it anything to do with the syzygy on 20.03.15?.. Is it a Denby Dale creation?
Unread 03-14-2015, 09:21 AM

Steve. Read all about it here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi_Day

I got up at six a.m. this morning--my usual go-to-bed time--to hear a program on pi in nature. Little kindergarten kids were running around in the woods looking for pi objects.

Another feature was sixth-graders who memorized pi decimal digits, I think the winner remembered a thousand digits, anyway lots. Also a conversation with Daniel Tammet who holds the European record, having recited 22,514 digits from memory in five hours.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Tammet

Yesterday I heard a fascinating program about the myriad uses of pi from manufacturing iron pipe to measuring the Milky Way.

I didn't hear it mentioned on any of the programs I listened to, but I thought of Pythagoras. Didn't he kill a follower for talking off-record about pi? It is easy to see that it could become a religion-like school, being infinite and all that. Nearly makes me religious too. (But only nearly.)
Unread 03-14-2015, 09:22 AM

Now I've looked up Denby Dale. Ha, ha.
Unread 03-14-2015, 05:44 PM

3/14/15 lacks just about nine one-hundred-thousandths of being PI day. A squeaker! Maybe "too" close but not quite enough to stop those "other" numbers from breaking bad...? Maybe at 9:26-7 AM the Greenland icecap quietly refroze?

Here are some mnemonics to help you and your associates. I know the first one by heart (15 digits [ of pi ] 3.14159265358979) :

* "How I want a drink, alcoholic of course, after the heavy lectures involving quantum mechanics," *
originally due to Sir James Jeans....

A slight extension of this adds the phrase

* "All of thy geometry, Herr Planck, is fairly hard," * giving 24 digits in all (3.14159265358979323846264).

An extension due to S. Bottomley (2001) adds instead the phrase
* "and if the lectures were boring or tiring, then any odd thinking was on quartic equations again," *

giving 32 digits (3.1415926535897932384626433832795)."

From http://mathworld.wolfram.com/PiWordplay.html

Planck's geometry is a delicatessen specialty best served on rye bread.
Unread 03-14-2015, 08:05 PM

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	of150314 (1).jpg
Views:	434
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	864  
Unread 03-15-2015, 02:48 AM

I was trying to find a way of joining the contributions of two friends by defining the relationship between Pi and pie-charts. I failed.

I failed to understand this, too: I got up at six a.m. this morning--my usual go-to-bed time.

I feel I am either misreading it or am short of one more pi-ece of information to make it make sense.
Unread 03-15-2015, 08:20 AM

Janice,

I can't believe what a conformist you are following an ISO standard. Do you also submit to quality audits? I thought you were a radical!~,:^)

Rick
Unread 03-15-2015, 09:28 AM

Ha, ha, Rick. Everyone in Sweden (Europe) uses the superior ISO date standard. Every Swedish form uses it, and our personal ID numbers use it plus an algorithmic final code.

Besides I used to write/translate/work with scientists, and at one point in my and the (Swedish) computer's youth was a very, very, very minor reference for the Swedish institute for standards, SIS, that coined (and coins) new words and procedures as needed, such as rullbräda (roll plank) for skateboard and freestyle (yes, it's the Swedish term) for portable audio cassette, popularly known by the trademark Walkman (terms I was not involved in) and dator for computer (-or as in motor + data, in inverse order) rather than the term datamachine which was gaining a foothold in the language.

Technical nomenclature is a fascinating subject. I digress.

For our (Swedish) date designations, one logically starts with the highest number and proceeds downward the order of magnitude to the required precision: century (CE, Common Era), year, month, day, hour (24 hour designation, not a.m. & p.m.), minute, second.

Then comes the ISO metric designations for time less than a second: decisecond, centisecond, millisecond, microsecond, nanosecond, picosecond, attosecond, zeptosecond, yoctosecond.

ISO is so logical. Unlike the confusing American system of pounds and miles, we use the easy metric systems for weight and distance so that even a child can quickly get a grasp on magnitude. Even me, a mathematical idiot.

Though I dispute the Jonathan Swift reference here, the article does give you an idea of how everybody's out of step but Charlie. ( )

http://www.theguardian.com/news/data...before-the-day

You are a science/business writer, Rick. No?

PS What made you think I am a radical. (Allotted smilies all used up now.)
Unread 03-15-2015, 09:45 AM

Business writer. I'd write about shoes if it paid more.