Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 04-19-2017, 04:11 AM

Default The British General Election

Should we not have a thread on this? I will be in Trumpland of course but be assured I shall vote postally. The forms are on the way. Present polls give the divine Theresa a majority of 100 seats over everyone else i.e. more power than any Tory since I don't know when.
Unread 04-19-2017, 04:37 AM

The divine Theresa? More a diabolical disgrace to her father's cloth I would say. This may mean ten years of Tory rule unless they sink in a sea of sexual sewage like Major's mob.

Perhaps if I write something nice about the soncy Sturgeon she'll let me apply for Caledonian citizenship in an independent Scotland on the basis of having had a Scottish grandfather?
Unread 04-19-2017, 04:44 AM

I think sonsie is the word, Jerome. She is at present grinding her teeth. She would like to sink them into Theresa's leg but she doesn't quite dare.

Last edited by John Whitworth; 04-19-2017 at 05:15 AM.
Unread 04-19-2017, 05:06 AM

Come north, Jerome. We welcome all who choose to live in Scotland. That will make you Scottish and give you a vote in our referendum - if we bother with that after this election, which has the potential to be decisive for our independence.

This General Election in the UK is a piece of low politics by May and co. which, had the Labour Party any intelligence, would be kicked out by refusing a Commons two thirds vote today. She is breaking her thrice (or perhaps more) times given word, trying to evade a series of prosecutions of Tory MPs and/or their agents for election expenses frauds during the 2105 election and attempting to evade the public being able to pass judgement on her 'Brexit' shambles when it comes to fruition in 2019/20. Had Labour any sense they would have rubbished the election call immediately, attacked the Tories on all three grounds and promised to vote the disreputable con-trick down in the debate today. The news agenda would then have been entirely about May's attempt to duck responsibility, cheat the public and failure to keep her word. Instead.... what can one say of Labour's 'leadership'.... to quote my favourite Tory back-bencher's diaries "Surely these men must be the dullest set of fools God ever made!" Labour is set to be pulverised into utter impotence and the most unpleasant, reactionary, right-wing government ever in the democratic era will be entrenched for another five, or worse, years.

However, by the time of the next General Election, Scotland will be gone from 'South Britain' - the only good thing in the entire sorry tale.
Unread 04-19-2017, 05:14 AM

She is not breaking her word. She is changing her mind, Nigel. As for you Scots, don't slam the door on your way out? Will you be using the euro, the dollar or the bawbee?

The Labour MPs are guarding their backs. Two thirds of them will keep their seats due to our unfair boundaries, which I expect Mrs May to change after the election. Some Labour seats have about 30,00 electors. The Isle of Wight has over 100,000. I think quite a few Glasgow seats are very small, though I could not swear to it. Changing the boundaries to make them more fair is worth 30-40 seats to the Tories I believe.

Last edited by John Whitworth; 04-19-2017 at 05:19 AM.
Unread 04-19-2017, 05:38 AM

You can't even 'crow' accurately, John. The number of Labour seats liable to be lost simply because of the Tories' 'boundary change' wheeze is 20.

I note that you reply to none of the points made - save to slip around May's promises of no snap election with a feeble excuse. She is a fraud. Claimed that the election is about 'leadership' but won't face any other political leaders in debate. Claims that referendums that she doesn't want cause instability, but that her chosen election creates the opposite. Postures as Christian when sucking up to the Saudis who execute, whip and imprison people for converting to Christianity. The list goes ever on.

Oh - and your worn-out and ill-informed taunts about independent Scotland's currency do not improve by being repeated. We cannot join the Euro, let alone be required to use it (see many replies I've given before) and our own pound will do very nicely thank you.

And I never slam doors but if you - or anyone else on the site - would like an insight into how that metaphor runs in the most prominent independence supporting columnist in Scotland, I suggest you try reading this... http://www.thenational.scot/news/152...Wee_Ginger_Dug
Metaphors apart, it may help to show just how massively different Scotland's viewpoints are from those projected by the UK's mainstream, London media.

Last edited by Nigel Mace; 04-19-2017 at 06:06 AM.
Unread 04-19-2017, 06:18 AM

But it won't be your pound. It will be ours. I suggest the dollar. But I fear the EU will not allow any new member to join unless they join the Euro. You will be in the queue behind Albania, or is that not right? What has the Sturgeon been telling you, the hussy?

No, you are wrong as usual. 30 seats is the figure. Yours is out of date.Tell me about those tiny Glasgow seats. Tell us all This is fun. I knew it would be. And why not crow eh? You crow over Bannockburn and that was in 1314.

Does anyone else want to play? This is a bit parochial.
Unread 04-19-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Whitworth View Post
She is not breaking her word. She is changing her mind, Nigel. As for you Scots, don't slam the door on your way out? Will you be using the euro, the dollar or the bawbee?

The Labour MPs are guarding their backs. Two thirds of them will keep their seats due to our unfair boundaries, which I expect Mrs May to change after the election. Some Labour seats have about 30,00 electors. The Isle of Wight has over 100,000. I think quite a few Glasgow seats are very small, though I could not swear to it. Changing the boundaries to make them more fair is worth 30-40 seats to the Tories I believe.

The Americans have the elegant word "gerrymandering" (Said with a soft G, as in Jerry") for such a process. It has been skillfully used by both of our parties over the last 200 or so years.
Unread 04-19-2017, 07:57 AM

You in the UK are so much more civilized in your political disagreements than we here in the US. I am jealous.
Unread 04-19-2017, 08:12 AM

Good Heavens, Aaron, are we really? People keep throwing shit at me but in a very civilised way, is that how it is? It's interesting how we luvvies are generally to the left of most people. Not this luvvie however.

Making the system fairer is not gerrymandering, Douglas. It is the opposite.