Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 01-17-2015, 02:49 PM
Distinguished Guest

Default Oxford University asks authors to drop pig-related words

Posting this for Bill Lantry and anyone else interested in the original source, for this one. It's the BBC. This was broadcast on their Radio 4 Today program. You will find the link to a full story, bottom right of the BBC page here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/search?q=oxford%20press
Unread 01-18-2015, 07:33 AM

"Some pig," said Sir Francis Bacon to James Hogg.
Unread 01-18-2015, 07:53 AM

Default Direct link

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/educati.../1/413431.html
Unread 01-20-2015, 06:29 PM

What about the "Freddy the Pig" books, which I enjoyed in the late '50's? Freddy was a helluva of a positive role model to pigdom.
Too bad that they aren't being republished.
Unread 01-20-2015, 10:54 PM

They are, Douglas, but by Overlook Press, for a niche market. Oxford University Press has never had anything to do with the Freddy the Pig series, so I see no cause for alarm.

What all this fuss is about is simply OUP's business decision to publish one-size-fits-all children's books for the global marketplace, instead of distinctively British books for British audiences, and other books for various overseas audiences.

Niche markets require individualized attention, and economies of scale are lost when one has to be careful to market a particular book in some parts of the English-speaking world and not others. It's much simpler and cheaper to print one or two editions--perhaps with Brit and American spelling variants--and market those editions everywhere.

Apparently there was a similar brouhaha several years ago when OUP's children's authors and illustrators were asked to refrain from including distinctively British things (such as London's red double-decker buses) in their books, because presenting such cultural oddities might alienate children in other countries. Personally, I would regard such oddities as a teachable moment for children...but apparently the editors were concerned that such things might make potential customers feel that the content is targeted to Brits, and that it may be partially irrelevant, or even icky, to those elsewhere.

This article pointed out that offensiveness can swing both ways:

Quote:
One Canadian publisher noted that many European children’s books never make their way onto North American bookshelves because they contain scenes of nudity or sex.

“Month after month, I see absolutely beautiful books and say ‘oh, it’s too bad about that couple copulating up in that cloud’ … that makes it difficult in our market: it’s probably not going to set the world on fire, sales-wise,” said Sheila Barry with Groundwood Books in Toronto.
(Speaking of teachable moments....)

Bottom line: Large presses like OUP, whose "books are sold in more than 200 countries", would prefer its children's titles to be universally marketable.

People who like cultural distinctiveness in children's books should patronize smaller presses, and should be prepared to pay more.

Last edited by Julie Steiner; 01-20-2015 at 11:04 PM.
Unread 01-21-2015, 02:07 AM

I long to know of the children's book that has a couple copulating in a cloud. Name and publisher? It wasn't like that in my day.
Unread 01-27-2015, 11:38 AM

Well, I don't think there was any explicit copulation in "Winnie-the-Pooh", but I seem to remember a story involving Eeyore and a bit of tail.
Unread 02-05-2015, 08:16 AM

Copulating in a cloud? Hmm. In my childhood Bullfinch's Zeus peed on Danaë, confusing my early understanding of the reproductive process. Does that count?

RHE
Unread 02-05-2015, 10:11 AM

As a Jew, I must say that I have never been offended by the mere mention of pigs. In fact, I have many fond memories of Porky the Pig, as well as Arnold the Pig on the show "Green Acres," who I think might have actually been Jewish.
Unread 02-05-2015, 12:00 PM

Methodist here, okay with pigs, especially bacon, although I didn't care much for Porky, and probably for all the wrong reasons (which I won't go into). Arnold Ziffel was a Chester White, I think. I'd have pegged him as a Lutheran probably. Honestly though, I never really thought about this until I read Roger's post. And if it was up to me, Arnold and Cynthia (Haney's Basset Hound) would have gotten married.

Green Acres was one of the best shows TV has ever seen (insert your 4th wall joke here) right up until its very end, the year CBS cancelled everything with a tree.

Last edited by dean peterson; 02-05-2015 at 08:04 PM.