Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 12-06-2016, 12:30 PM
Lariat Emeritus

Darlin' Jen's secret is that her husband is just as pro-pipeline as I am. It's a beautiful marriage, and they still share the same roof.
Unread 12-06-2016, 02:26 PM
Distinguished Guest

Darlin' Jen's other "secret" is that her father is the retired vice-president of a global company. Pro-big-business and pro-pipeline. And just as Indian as she is

Jenn, the Transparent
Unread 12-06-2016, 05:00 PM

The feedback loops are only just now beginning. Carbon from warming soil, methane from the arctic melt will be just the edge events. Pipelines like this will keep the leverage in the hands of petroleum companies because they keep the fossil fuels irresistibly cheap and people are fools who will trade tomorrow for an easier today. If the people of North Dakota are cheering for the continuation of an energy policy that is helping to deforest the planet, crash species after species, and will eventually turn on humans then the people of North Dakota are lemmings. Its too bad the age of consequences, which is only beginning, can't be delivered just to the people who seem so eager to claim it. Maybe we will think our way out of catastrophe but I am not sure we deserve to. We needed a Manhattan Project to redirect but instead we built a network to bring unending feeds of false news and crap science right into peoples laps so that they can stick their heads in the sand and believe whatever version of reality that helps them consume in comfort. My respect goes to the people on the ground in Dakota trying to articulate the rage against this selfish culture in anyway they can. Like the gentrification of our neighborhoods, the mass incarceration of our citizens, the wars and the lies, the pipeline will prolly be allowed to pass. I hope, somewhere, some one is knitting the names of of all cheerleaders for business as usual at this critical time for the species.
Unread 12-06-2016, 05:29 PM

"Its too bad the age of consequences, which is only beginning, can't be delivered just to the people who seem so eager to claim it."

Amen, Andrew.

Nemo
Unread 12-06-2016, 07:54 PM

Pretty interesting moment at Standing Rock
Unread 12-07-2016, 04:14 AM
Distinguished Guest

Beautiful. In that release from Energy Transfer Partners provided so helpfully in the link earlier, it is said that the company has "played by the rules" from the beginning.

I think that I do not wish to live in a world where it is considered appropriate, correct behavior to sic snarling animals on pregnant women and children.

May the soul-searching continue, like that shown by these photographs of the forgiveness ceremony -- and for all of the factions involved in this conflict.

J
Unread 12-07-2016, 04:48 AM

Very well put, Andrew.

"The people of North Dakota are lemmings." I've no objection to the people of North Dakota committing suicide by jumping off the ecological cliff. The trouble is, they will be pushing the rest of us off at the same time.
Unread 12-07-2016, 06:13 AM
Distinguished Guest

By the way, my beloved white man is coming around quite nicely. I was taping up a box of supplies to send to the Sioux at Sacred Stone Camp. He stood there watching for a few moments, then simply said, "Are you taking that to the post office? Will you stop at the store for me?"

Progress.

J
Unread 12-08-2016, 01:56 PM

Spectacular, Andrew. Jennifer, imo, the White Man thing isn't productive. It fuels the asses who actually believe in reverse racism. Lotta white folk are with you. Myself included.

"fuels the asses..." Must have been something I ate. That didn't quite come out as planned. Ha.

Last edited by James Brancheau; 12-08-2016 at 03:42 PM.
Unread 12-08-2016, 04:05 PM
Distinguished Guest

Thanks, James. Your opinion is read, and duly noted.

J