Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Closed Thread
Unread 07-22-2017, 08:36 PM

...strict gender segregation of public restrooms...

^ From the post Quincy linked to in his post #7

On that particular issue: If you've got a penis, use the men's bathroom. You've got no business in the women's bathroom. Stay of the women's bathroom.

Edited in: I was going to start another thread with the following link as a launching point, but then I decided I've been piled on enough for a while. I need to work out and take more Flintstones vitamins before I can go through that again.

It's a clip of Penn Jillette speaking. I agree with mostly everything, and I have a great deal in common with him mentally, I think, but I would never call myself a coward, as he did. I'm like a badger in a trap once someone has initiated aggressive force against me. Not that I can kick anybody's ass, but I'll sure as hell fight back.

Penn considers himself a libertarian, not a conservative, but these labels are becoming more and more complicated and eventually they will be useless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG3Kyk3Xc5A

Last edited by William A. Baurle; 07-23-2017 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Expletive removed.
Unread 07-22-2017, 08:41 PM

Edit: it took me one second after posting this to regret it, so now it's gone.
Unread 07-22-2017, 08:48 PM

I can't believe William that you want to divert discussion of an article written by a very conservative, very Christian writer that points out clearly why Trump is the result of a conservatism run aground on the shoals of greed and narrow-mindedness into yet another discussion of bathrooms. Look! A shiny object!

While I would like to think you are one of the perpetrators of the right's strategy of diverting attention while they impose a plutocratic society I'm afraid I know the truth is you are one of the hypnotized.
Unread 07-22-2017, 08:55 PM

Trump is the shiny object. He attracts hatred like the proverbial light bulb does moths. He is Deplorable. He is Despicable. His thinking is akin to the perverted minds of terrorists. He has hijacked decency, morality and compassion and beheaded them. Without those, anything goes...

Albatross! Be gone! Phoenix! Take wing! Drink from the deep well of youth.
Unread 07-23-2017, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Riley View Post
I can't believe William that you want to divert discussion of an article written by a very conservative, very Christian writer that points out clearly why Trump is the result of a conservatism run aground on the shoals of greed and narrow-mindedness into yet another discussion of bathrooms. Look! A shiny object!

While I would like to think you are one of the perpetrators of the right's strategy of diverting attention while they impose a plutocratic society I'm afraid I know the truth is you are one of the hypnotized.
If you've read my poetry, read my lengthy posts, read my critiques, and can actually say something like that, then I must seriously wonder what you're up to here.

If you read my entire post (the one before this one, John), you will see that I isolated that quote from the post that Quincy linked to, saying, "On that particular issue:"...

I specifically and intentionally wrote that I was only addressing THAT PARTICULAR ISSUE. Sorry for shouting.

Then I decided to insert the brilliant speech by Penn Jillette, since the title of this thread is "The American Conservative".

My comments about the bathroom issue were not meant as a tactical diversion, for Christ's sake, but as an aside, a peripheral uproar from the Peanut Gallery (me being the loudest, most annoying peanut).

I happen to feel very strongly about the bathroom issue, which you seem to regard as trivial, because there are a great many men who will use this far-left lunacy to creep their way into women's bathrooms just to get their jollies.

Once again, in case I didn't get it across to all you possible transgender males on Eratosphere (in which group I may very well be myself, as at least one prominent Spherian knows because I've discussed it at length with him):

If you have a penis, stay out of the women's bathroom. You do not belong in there.

I'll have some opinions about the less shinier objects later.

Last edited by William A. Baurle; 07-23-2017 at 03:54 AM. Reason: Editing!
Unread 07-23-2017, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Novick View Post
Edit: it took me one second after posting this to regret it, so now it's gone.
Aaron, you're young yet, though no doubt a genius of some sort. But intelligence is not wisdom. Wisdom comes with experience, and time. Don't worry so much about what you type here. It's a forum of ideas, thoughts, words. No one gets hurt. Just use your right to free speech and speak freely.

Though I admit, it does suck like hell when you type something you'll hate yourself for in the morning.

But it's worth it. No pain, no gain.

If you want to call me the biggest idiot you've ever known, go right ahead. I've got a father (Trump supporter) and a brother (Prepper/Truther) who think I'm an idiot. So how can you possibly harm me, when I can't even see you?

Still another edit: Quincy, that link you provided has given me much entertainment, in only a few minutes, for which I thank you. I shouldn't have been surprised by the hate, or the level of wickedness some individuals are capable of nowadays. Some of them seem to consider themselves serious journalists.

Example:

Quote:
Provocateur, website founder and collector of America's largest wads of spittle Andrew Breitbart died last Thursday morning, when some sentient shred of his cardiac organ kamikazed out of an exhausted sense of justice.

The invertebrate response from journalists was exactly to be expected. Breitbart said, like, bad stuff in his lifetime, but he also married someone and fathered people; once he even objected to anti-gay GOP rhetoric. A malicious career and two milquetoast mitigating facts: It all balanced out, really, at least for the purposes of forced, quailing objectivity. To borrow a gross analogy lustily employed on Breitbart's own websites, if today's mainstream media was penning obits on May 1, 1945, they would have summed up with, "Despite initiating the Second World War, the German leader was fond of public architecture and is survived by his beloved dachshunds."
Then there are these distractions and diversions inserted, which, if clicked, takes you to an error page, in at least two cases:

Example:

Quote:
Breitbart Should Probably Stop Posting Nazi-Era Anti-Semitic Cartoon to His Site

Media Matters points out that Andrew Breitbart's site "Big Journalism" has now used…

Last edited by William A. Baurle; 07-23-2017 at 04:17 AM.
Unread 07-23-2017, 05:11 AM

Hey Quincy,

That round-up of Conservative journals you linked to was very funny. But I didn't realise ('Daily Caller' review) that vaping was considered a conservative thing to do! If I didn't vape I'd still smoke -- it's the only thing that's worked in 10 years of trying to quit. Does this make me alt-right? Ps I don't, and never will, wear a goatee.

Yours

A confused Brit
Unread 07-23-2017, 07:19 AM

Bill, I regretted not the content of what I had typed, which was correct, intelligent, wise, and humane, but the fact that you would inevitably respond with a condescending lecture of some sort or another. I had hoped to avoid that. I guess I'm lucky enough to get one anyway. At least this time—I'm hunting for some silver lining here—you skipped the part where you gratuitously insult my poetry, so there's that.
Unread 07-23-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Novick View Post
Bill, I regretted not the content of what I had typed, which was correct, intelligent, wise, and humane, but the fact that you would inevitably respond with a condescending lecture of some sort or another. I had hoped to avoid that. I guess I'm lucky enough to get one anyway. At least this time—I'm hunting for some silver lining here—you skipped the part where you gratuitously insult my poetry, so there's that.
How can I possibly condescend to someone who is probably ten times more intelligent than I am? How many times have I demeaned myself, right after one of my "lectures" - which are only one person in the Peanut Gallery trying to get his peanutty views across? How many times have I called myself a "numbnuts"? Too many times to count.

I haven't said anything more insulting about your poetry than some of the others. I remember Roger Slater laid into you quite a bit there. And there were others who were on the negative side. I have praised your poetry, as well as said critical things.

I suggested you try free verse, yes. That was cold. But sometimes critique is very cold. I do think you should give free verse a shot. Lots of great poets wrote metrical verse as well as free verse.

When I posted my first metrical poem in the "High Critique" forum at another site, in 2001, I was sure I was going to receive lavish praise. I received two responses, one from the webmaster himself, who told me to find my own voice and stop trying to imitate Homer and/or Shakespeare. The other response, from a senior member, told me the same thing, but added that my poem was chock full of cliches, archaic and/or obsolete words and terminology, and that my style was derivative and pretentious.

I was 37. You're much younger.

Look at it this way. In a short amount of time, you'll have made a name for yourself, and I'll still be a nobody. It's the truth.
Unread 07-23-2017, 05:06 PM

I just want to add, more on topic, that it's becoming more and more apparent that DT truly is mentally questionable*. I highly doubt he will last 4 years. He'll either be impeached, or something worse (for him, which I truly hope does not happen).

His use of Twitter to vent his anger is so far beneath the office of POTUS that words simply cannot describe it.

It's like in that song, "The train won't stop going...no way to slow down..." Because Charlie stole the handle, whatever that means.

More on topic, and hopefully this can generate a better direction for the thread:

One can be a "conservative" and still despise DT. One can be a libertarian, like Penn Jillette, and still recognize that a touchy alpha-male soccer coach in the White House is a BAD idea.

Once again, in case it was missed:

I did not vote for him. I didn't vote at all in the last elections, because I could not say 'Yes' to anyone that was running without feeling guilty. I voted for _ _ in 2012. (PM me if you want to know who.)

I do not support or admire him.

America is in BIG trouble. I still say that the best thinkers are somewhere in the middle.

*I am not him, and am not a psychologist, so I don't get to declare who's insane and who isn't. I mean I can, but he's the POTUS, and I'm just me.
Closed Thread