Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 02-23-2003, 04:22 PM

Here is the address Thomas Newton delivered to the Rally For America at Lake Eola, Orlando, FL on 22 FEB 03. It was carried live on 540 WFLA radio, and was on all the local TV stations nightly news broadcasts. The next rally will be in San Antonio, TX, then across the nation. There was a crowd of 2,500 TRUE patriots, all waving American flags of all sizes and shouting, USA USA USA USA .... It was a sight to behold.

.................................................. ............................................

Address to the Rally For America
(Orlando, Florida February 22, 2003)

by Thomas Newton

Normally, when a poet is introduced there is a long list of awards that he has received from his peers. But the way things are going LATELY--I am very proud to announce that I have NOT received the Nobel Prize in Literature. I am proud that I am NOT the U.S. Poet Laureate, the British Poet Laureate, or the Poet Laureate for the state of New Jersey or Connecticut. I am proud that I have NEVER been published by the magazine Poetry or the Atlantic Monthly. I am proud that I have NOT received any prizes from the Modern Poetry Association, the Academy of American Poets, the Poetry Society of America, or National Endowment for the Arts. I am proud that I have NOT received the Lambda Literary Award, the National Book Award, or the Pulitzer Prize. I am proud that I have NOT received a grant from the Guggenheim Foundation or the Ingram Merrill Foundation. I am ALSO proud that I HAVE received the Stephanie Award which states, "I just wanted to say that I've read the poems, as well as [Thomas Newton's] other posts, and I have enjoyed them very much. He's a TRUE poet, unlike so many of the tax-subsidized free-verse politicians at my university."

I intend to make you proud and happy today, and then I intend to make you sad.

I have a statement for Sam Hamill, who "was overcome by a kind of nausea" when he received an invitation from the White House for a poetry symposium. The reviews are in for the 10,000 poems at the Poets Against the War website. The garbage stench from your website has nauseated a whole nation. The stench is so bad that it can be smelled all the way over in Kuwait, and if it becomes too bad our U.S. military is equipped with gas masks.

(APPLAUSE)

I have a statement for the First Lady, Laura Bush. As Sean Hannity would say, "Let not your heart be troubled," and thank Gawd that FINALLY, we have a First Lady that we can be proud of.

(APPLAUSE)

And thank Gawd that FINALLY, we have a Commander-in-Chief that we can be proud of.

(APPLAUSE)

And there isn't ANYTHING we wouldn't do for him!

(APPLAUSE)

I have a statement for HollyWEIRD. You are only PRETEND heroes in movies and on television. Come back to the real White House, the real world, and the real heroes that are fighting and dying so that you can have your spoiled brat "Tinseltown."

(APPLAUSE)

Thomas Jefferson said, “The price of liberty is eternal vigilance.” On Friday, January 31st, the Wall Street Journal put out an urgent call for conservative poets to counter the Poets Against the War, Poetry Day on February 12th, less than two weeks away. More than 300 e-mails were received and 45 of the Patriot Poets were chosen for publication. Quoting the Wall Street Journal, “In late November, [2001], CIA officer Johnny “Mike” Spann became the first U.S. casualty in Afghanistan. Thomas Newton penned this tribute to him.” The Wall Street Journal was unable to present the poem with all of its parts; the title, the dedication, the epigraph, which is a quotation from Sean Hannity, and the body of the poem; because of their format. At this time the entire Newtonian sonnet will be recited.

FAREWELL TO A HERO

Dedicated to Johnny Micheal Spann

And when we see people make these kinds of commitments—and pay the ultimate price, with the currency of their own blood—it is our duty to them, their families, those who have gone before them, and those who will follow, to honor them. –Let Freedom Ring, Sean Hannity

(APPLAUSE)

From Winfield, Alabama to the sands

Of far away Afghanistan; from strife,

To solitude and friends and grateful hands

Soothing his son, his girls and his wife;

From happy hometown football fans’ loud cheers,

To solemn ceremony, solemn praise,

All confirmed by a grateful nation’s tears

As seven polished Marine rifles raise;

From aquamarine birthstone, childish fun,

Winfield High, Auburn, and a need to roam

To stately white headstone at Arlington

National Cemetery, his new home;

From their first words and Cupid’s gentle shove,

To her last farewell, “Semper Fi, my love.”

God bless all of you for coming to the rally, and God bless America.

(Salutes the audience and does a snappy “about face,” and returns to his seat on the platform)
.................................................. ..........................................

Let's Roll,

Thomas Newton

[This message has been edited by Thomas Newton2 (edited February 25, 2003).]
Unread 03-04-2003, 03:33 PM

You actually said that in public? And you're confessing?
If nothing else, you've got guts.

Unread 03-05-2003, 09:40 AM

Jerry,

There were 2,500 of us there with "guts." I was just fortunate enough to be one of the speakers.

Let's Roll,

Thomas Newton
Unread 03-05-2003, 01:49 PM

Any reason you're posting again? I think I saw this, verbatim, a few weeks ago. Just curious.

Unread 03-05-2003, 02:14 PM

Edited

[This message has been edited by Jerry Glenn Hartwig (edited March 05, 2003).]
Unread 03-24-2003, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wordpress:
Any reason you're posting again? I think I saw this, verbatim, a few weeks ago. Just curious.

The address was composed the night of 21 Feb 03, delivered the next day, and posted the next day. You are mistaken.

Thomas Newton
Unread 03-30-2003, 06:10 PM

Since I have to refrain from ad hominem, my post
will be short and sweet. Your remarks are worse
than your Woolworths verse, your sentiments
and the political judgements they promote dishonor
the English language. Just another form of
collateral damage.
Unread 03-30-2003, 09:44 PM

Arioch,

Is this the same Stockholm, Sweden that brought us Yasser Arafat's Nobel Peace Prize and Ann-Margret?

One out of two isn't bad for a success rate!

Thomas Newton
Newtonian Sonnet Writer
Unread 03-31-2003, 08:59 AM

Obviously the Nobel Committee makes mistakes.
They gave the prize to a war criminal named Heinz Kissinger
and Pearl Buck is hardly in the same league as Osip Mandelshtam whom they ignored. Ann-Margaret is nothing more than a member of the Swedish Peterrouser battalion like
Anita Ekberg. That Ingrid Bergman never occured to you
reveals the level of north Floridian culture. Not suprising.
You people voted Jeb Bush, another crook and death house landlord into office.
Unread 03-31-2003, 10:37 AM

arioch

“Ingrid Bergman never occured to you”

Charlie Chaplin, Mary Pickford, and Ingrid Bergman were a little before my time.

However, Anna Nordell, a member of the Swedish Peterrouser battalion, who sings my favorite song, “I’ll Still Love You Then” on the “Message In A Bottle” CD (Executive Producer David Foster, written by Linda Thompson), is my favorite singer since Ann-Margret. I am having trouble finding anything about her. I did find 1 Swedish web page, but I could not read Swedish.

Can you help me find some information on her?

Thanks,

Thomas Newton

[This message has been edited by Thomas Newton2 (edited March 31, 2003).]