Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 05-21-2015, 03:16 PM

Default 5th Annual Frost Farm Prize Winner, Runner-up, & Hon. Mentions

Kevin Durkin Wins 5th Annual Frost Farm Prize
Winner reads at Frost Farm June 12

May 21, 2015, DERRY, NH -- The Trustees of the Robert Frost Farm in Derry, NH, and the Hyla Brook Poets today announced that the winner of the 5th Annual Frost Farm Prize for metrical poetry is Kevin Durkin of Santa Monica, Calif., for his poem, "Meteor Crater."

The prize was judged by prize-winning poet Josh Mehigan. Durkin receives $1,000, publication in The Evansville Review and will be a featured reader at The Hyla Brook Reading Series at the Robert Frost Farm in Derry, NH, on Friday, June 12, 2015, 7:00pm. The awarding of the Frost Farm Prize will kick off the first annual Poetry at the Frost Farm: Writing in Meter and Form Conference (June 12-14, 2015).

Commenting about this year’s winning poem, Mehigan said, “’Meteor Crater’ is unmistakably about the stark beauty and sublime power of the natural world. Its author skillfully plays stress and syntax against meter and line to create an appropriate naturalism. Because it’s a monologue, its language must also be credible as speech, and as the speech of a particular, stoically fatalistic person. The genre calls for a degree of realism unusual now in poetry, and the poem furnishes it. It is my pleasure to award the 2015 Frost Farm Prize to Kevin Durkin for ‘Meteor Crater.’”

Kevin Durkin’s poems have appeared in Poetry, New Criterion, Yale Review, and the anthologies Poetry Daily, Able Muse Anthology, Irresistible Sonnets, and Measure for Measure. Finishing Line Press published his first collection of poetry, Los Angeles in Fog, in 2013. Currently the managing editor at The Huntington Library, Art Collections, and Botanical Gardens in San Marino, he resides with his wife and two daughters in Santa Monica.

Durkin said this about winning the Frost Farm Prize: “Robert Frost has long been my favorite poet, and since so many of his best poems were written on his Derry farm, winning the Frost Farm Prize is especially meaningful to me. I am honored to be associated with a poet whose work has so often inspired my own."

The judge read all 476 anonymous entries and, in addition to selecting the winner, chose five poems for special recognition as 1st Runner-up and Honorable Mentions:

First Runner-up:

"August, 1963” by Rob Wright of Philadelphia, PA.

Honorable Mentions:

“Summer of the Sisterhood Clinic” by Debra Bruce of Chicago, IL

"Pink Sky”” by William Leo Coakley of New York City, NY.

“On Visiting My Monument at Night” by Meredith Bergmann of New York City, NY

"For a Dog” by Ryan Wilson of Baltimore, MD

About the Frost Farm’s Hyla Brook Poets

The Frost Farm was home to the poet and his family from 1900-1911.Robert Crawford and Bill Gleed started The Hyla Brook Poets group in 2008. In addition to a monthly workshop, the group organizes the monthly Hyla Brook Reading Series held from May through September in Frost’s barn. The Series features emerging poets as well as luminaries such as Maxine Kumin, David Ferry, Sharon Olds and Linda Pastan.

To hear about next year’s contest or for more information on the Hyla Brook Reading Series, please visit http://www.frostfarmpoetry.org/readingseries/ or Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/HylaBrookPoets, or Twitter at https://twitter.com/HylaBrookPoets
Unread 05-21-2015, 03:34 PM

Kevin is also featured on E-verse Radio today! http://www.everseradio.com/little-league-kevin-durkin/

Congrats to First Runner-up Rob Wright (who won last year!) and all the Honorable Mentions!
Unread 05-21-2015, 05:58 PM
Distinguished Guest

Kevin does quiet yeoman's work as the Joe Biden of Light (except more appropriately at ceremonial events), which many of us appreciate.
Unread 05-21-2015, 06:33 PM

Wonderful news!
Unread 05-21-2015, 06:57 PM

Congratulations to Kevin!

I'm glad to see Debra Bruce among the finalists. We were at Brown together and while she didn't know me, I knew her because I admired her work (which I saw in a class we were both in taught by James Schevill, who is one of the two people I've known with a dog named Emily Dickinson, though that is neither here nor there).
Unread 05-21-2015, 07:41 PM

Congrats to Kevin and all. I'll be at the Frost Farm for the reading, Kevin, so see you then.
Unread 05-21-2015, 09:12 PM
Lariat Emeritus

Congratulations, Kevin.
Unread 05-21-2015, 10:37 PM

I'm so happy for Kevin! He's a wonderful poet who truly deserves this kind of recognition.

Also, hurrah for First Runner-up Rob Wright, and Meredith Bergman with an Honorable Mention.

Charlotte

Last edited by Charlotte Innes; 05-25-2015 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Typo!
Unread 05-23-2015, 04:45 PM

Default Kevin Durkin Wins 5th Annual Frost Farm Prize

I didn't see this posted on "Accomplished Members" yet, so I thought I'd post the good news & start spreading the word. Congratulations, Kevin!

Here's the public FB link for basic information (https://www.facebook.com/15217657189...2714055586899/)

And here's an excerpt...

The Trustees of the Robert Frost Farm in Derry, NH, and the Hyla Brook Poets today announced that the winner of the 5th Annual Frost Farm Prize for metrical poetry is Kevin Durkin of Santa Monica, Calif., for his poem, "Meteor Crater."

The prize was judged by prize-winning poet Josh Mehigan. Durkin receives $1,000, publication in The Evansville Review and will be a featured reader at The Hyla Brook Reading Series at the Robert Frost Farm in Derry, NH, on Friday, June 12, 2015, 7:00pm. The awarding of the Frost Farm Prize will kick off the first annual Poetry at the Frost Farm: Writing in Meter and Form Conference (June 12-14, 2015).

In addition, here are runners-up & finalists...

First Runner-up:
"August, 1963” by Rob Wright of Philadelphia, PA.

Honorable Mentions:
“Summer of the Sisterhood Clinic” by Debra Bruce of Chicago, IL
"Pink Sky”” by William Leo Coakley of New York City, NY.
“On Visiting My Monument at Night” by Meredith Bergmann of New York City, NY
"For a Dog” by Ryan Wilson of Baltimore, MD
Unread 05-23-2015, 04:59 PM

It was posted here, in General Announcements, a few days ago. Kevin isn't technically a Sphere member - but I guess he's published enough of us to qualify for a special dispensation. And this will probably get more attention. Congrats again, Kevin.