Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 10-15-2002, 05:13 PM

A beut, indeed. A constellation of stars to wish on.

Cheers,

------------------
Ralph
Unread 10-16-2002, 12:14 AM
Distinguished Guest Host

I've only had time so far for a browse through the recent additions, but they're outstanding work, all of them.
I'm delighted to see John B's Wolves poem again, and that it has given his book its title. It was the first of his poems I came across on the internet, and I realised at once that here was a major talent.
Regards,
David
Unread 10-16-2002, 07:44 AM
Lariat Emeritus

David, I had the same experience a few weeks later when Alan said, "You've got to check out Caledonian Pines by this guy whose monicker is Porridgeface." I just offered the New Formalist the following comment on his e-book: "John Beaton writes as though the 20th Century never occurred. The newest influence I can detect is the Thomas Hardy of the long line. He has a fabulous vocabulary and an unerring ear for the meters. Indeed he's proving to be a latter-day heir to those fabled makars, Dunbar, Douglas and Henrysoun." John, thanks for the graceful acknowledgement of the Sphere in your Author's Note. Poets like you make it all worthwhile. Just received this comment on Hayes from Master Gwynn, "My God, the man's a genius!" I also urge members to read Leo's chapbook; it contains some terrific poems which were workshopped here under various guises.
Unread 10-18-2002, 01:03 AM
Able Muse/Eratosphere Sponsor Appreciation!

I hadn't read this thread properly until tonight and am short of time. But I'll be back soon with observations on this fine series. For now, I'll just say a couple of things.

A big thank you to Tim for the invitation, blurb, and kind comments. Congratulations to all the authors. Thanks to Leo, Jerry, and the other editors of the New Formalist for a fine production. Thanks to you, David, for your comment above - in the spirit of the Deep End I've often given your postings tough critiques, but, at the same time, I've admired your work greatly. And thanks to all at Eratosphere for the help I've received here. I have to mention you, Alan and Carol, in particular, because the quality of your critiques and the standards with which you challenged me when I started here as "Porridgeface" were what changed a pastime into a serious pursuit.

For me this e-book is a significant step. I've worked at poetry because it's a compulsion and because I enjoy it. But I did so in private, behind the name "Porridgeface", because I didn't want to be publicly known as "a person who tries to write serious poetry". This e-book is a first admission that that's what I am.

And as for Mr. Hayes's,
to be sure, the man amazes.

John

[This message has been edited by John Beaton (edited October 18, 2002).]
Unread 10-22-2002, 09:56 AM

Tony, Jim, Suzanne, John and Dick

I'll make my way over there later today to see the newest e-books, but meanwhile it's heartening to see all the local color blazing! Congratulations to each of you.

Terese
Unread 10-30-2002, 06:42 PM

I wanted to say how much I enjoyed these e-books as well. Thanks again, kudos to the poets and to Tim for all their dedicated work!

Rhina, "Temple at Segesta" has the magical characteristic of being written "on water": the fluidity is silken. Plus now I really have to go there! It's one thing to be brought there by the poem, but another entirely to be inspired to jump on a plane by a poem. Well, one day it will happen. For some reason I found "Catania" amusing and it made me laugh. It's the earthy quality of the people there. "Sicilian Puppet Theater" is genius.

Tony, this stanza from "In Memory of Stephen Spender" is uncanny and fine, even moreso than the rest of the poem:

Desire that blooms in human loss,
Earth those blossoms fall across,
Water in which poets write
"In the morning simple light."

Also found "List" very witty; "Things to Listen For" a small revelation; and "The Aging of Europe" took my breath away, especially the quote you created.

Jim, seeing "Anti-Gravity" again is a joy, and "The Raggedy Bush" is a special favorite of mine because it reminds me not only of Druidic trees but of the same phenomena all over the Himalayas, part of a Tibetan ritual which I believe dates back to before the Buddhists, i.e. pre 8th Century! And "Anti-Gravity" reminds me of that story about my Dad where he and the bucket of paint fell off a high ladder and the bucket landed right-side-up! I like to think it may have inspired you to write that delicious poem! In my dreams!

John, "Women of the Ages" is a work of genius. What more can I say? Sounds like a Druidic riddle too.

Jerry, your humor in "Special K" is pure joy! But I think my very favorite is "The Station": musical, a brilliant poem.

Terese