Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 10-30-2014, 01:09 PM

The reference elicited comments and, at least, one request for comments because it's disturbingly common and needs to be discouraged. Far from moot, it is a regular part of hyperbole and hyperbole should also always be discouraged. Hyperbole, of any kind, always muddies the waters.
Unread 10-30-2014, 02:10 PM

Default Nonsense

Hyperbole is my mother tongue.
Unread 10-30-2014, 02:13 PM

Long live hyperbole! Or we'd lose some of the best humour in the world, and that would be a bummer.

Jeanne
Unread 10-30-2014, 09:06 PM

Goodness! I'm only just now seeing this.

This has been such a long and draining process for me. Yes, I have made mistakes: I have said things I should not have said, I have succumbed to hyperbole and ad hominem attacks. In short, I have been human and under strain.

I have also apologized, deleted offensive comments, been attacked for deleting same because it obscures my villainy from the world, and generally been made to feel (at times) like the worst kind of human for speaking up for my friend, Kim Bridgford, who is one of the best human beings I know, and did not deserve any of this crap.

So, sweet Toni, who has "no position on the firing of Kim Bridgeford [sic]," please forgive me for my inappropriate use of Holocaust literature, which I deleted about a month ago. "All have sinned and come short of the glory of Heaven," as my dear old Dad used to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Seger View Post
I am new to this forum and I have no position on the firing of Kim Bridgeford.

However, I do have an opinion on the use of Holocaust literature which I see all too freely used on numerous forums whenever someone is upset about something. Yes, I'm Jewish and yes, I find it offensive and I appreciate RS Gwynn's call for reason and reasonable response.

To my way of thinking, it shows a distinct lack of imagination as well as taste to use Holocaust literature as a way to illustrate anything other than mass murder or an event so inconceivably horrible there is no other way to discuss it.
Unread 10-31-2014, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I have... generally been made to feel (at times) like the worst kind of human for speaking up for my friend, Kim Bridgford, who is one of the best human beings I know, and did not deserve any of this crap.
Anna,
I've read most of the posts on this thread but haven't contributed to it yet (except to say I'd signed the petition) but, having met you at West Chester I want to tell the world that you are a wonderful person, and also a brilliant poet; I love your work. Keep your chin up, sweetie, and...

...Illegitimi non carborundum!

Jayne
Unread 11-01-2014, 11:31 AM

Speaking up for a friend is always admirable and hyperbole is a typical human failing, but hyperbole is better left for use as a poetic device.
Unread 11-02-2014, 03:35 PM

Let us also remember that the word "holocaust" had a meaning long before World War II, and is sometimes used with that original meaning.
Unread 11-02-2014, 04:24 PM

Anna, you're amazing. Just lending more support. You've done a great job.

Charlotte
Unread 11-05-2014, 09:26 PM

Was there any response whatever to presenting the petition -- or have I missed something?
Unread 11-05-2014, 10:57 PM

Although I requested that the minutes of the Board Meeting be made public, in fact quite the reverse happened, and I have been asked (by board members, not the dean) not to share what I know of events or discussions at the meeting.

I do know that the Board members were on the whole both impressed and heartbroken by the petition, but as you know, they have only limited power.

On the plus side, you can expect an announcement very soon about an alternative East Coast conference/venue for next year, unaffiliated with any of those pesky meddling Higher Education Institutions...