Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 10-01-2001, 05:48 PM
Distinguished Guest

"Longing For Laura", my selection of translations from Petrarch's Canzoniere, is now available in a handsome handcrafted letterpress edition with original wood engravings by Frank C. Eckmair and an introduction by Professor Samuel Maio. The cost is a mere $14 with $3 for shipping. It is available from Birch Brook Press, PO Box 81, Delhi NY, 13753 and can be ordered by phone (Visa/Mastercard welcome) at (607) 746-7453. You can also visit Birch Brook Press at www.birchbrookpress.com. Number 22, a sestina, appeared here in Able Muse, and other selections appeared or will appear in Carolina Quarterly, The Formalist, Sparrow and Edge City Review.
I am also looking for mailing lists of Italian professors or other academics who might be interested in taking a look. If anyone out there has contacts or ideas, I am eager for them.
Unread 10-01-2001, 07:05 PM

Bravo, Mike! I look forward to enjoying a copy of the book, Petrarch being one of my favorite fellow Italians. I'm no longer affiliated with UCLA, but a check of the Italian dept. homepage and that of UCLA Extension, should give you some leads. How about sending a notice to Dana Gioia at Italian Americana and Fred Gardaphe at Voices in Italian Americana? Oh, also Fred G. at Fra Noi, the Chicago tabloid for Italian Americans. Again, congrats!

------------------
Ralph
Unread 10-02-2001, 02:18 AM

congratulations! & $14 for a letterpress edition sounds like a bargain to me!

What would be the cost of postage for overseas?
Unread 10-02-2001, 03:30 AM

Michael:

If you are associated with a university, go to their Italian Department and ask the secretary (I used to produce large business conferences and trust me, they know EVERYTHING) what academic associations the professors in the department belong to. For Italian professors, I can't imagine that there would be that many in existence. There is probably one or two, plus a subgroup of a larger body like a national organization of university professors. The associations would have the primo list you need, but they probably won't let you have it. Associations guard their lists; it's their lifeblood. Find out from them if they have a newsletter that you can advertise in. I am sure they may also have a national meeting you can try to see if they will let you advertise in the announcements for. The cost would probably be nonexistant or nominal. Or you can try calling the NY Public Library Information Desk (try nypl.org) and see if they can find the name of an Italian Language Studies associations. They are wonderful at locating obscure information like that. And try the search engines on here. google.com or a metaengine like dogpile.com or refdesk.com.

Hope that helps. Sorry for the grammar. The coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

nyctom
Unread 10-02-2001, 03:30 AM
Distinguished Guest

Ralph: Good ideas! Dana and Fred should have their reviewer's copies today (Dana's letter of support for the project was probably critical), but I will check out the UCLA page. Alicia: Good question, I'll check.
Unread 10-02-2001, 08:22 AM

Mike, if you aren't aware of it, you might also check out IAWA, Italian American Writers' Association. They promote work by and about Italians. I got to them through Google.
www.iawa.net/

------------------
Ralph

[This message has been edited by RCL (edited October 02, 2001).]
Unread 10-02-2001, 08:31 AM

Congratulations. For the Italian, you might want to try asking at
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...ulture.italian

------------------

Svein Olav

.. another life
Unread 10-04-2001, 02:35 PM
Distinguished Guest

Thanks folks for the good suggestions, and Alicia, the foreign mail is an extra $8 (ouch!!). Maybe we can slip you one some other way...