Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 02-03-2016, 09:21 AM

Default Favorite books about poetry

Right now I'm reading Mary Kinzie's The Cure of Poetry in an Age of Prose: Moral Essays on the Poet's Calling (University of Chicago, 1984), a book that I ordered after checking out a tweet-link from Michael Juster. I somehow missed that one entirely. And I'm wondering if there are other books about poetry that I may have missed and would find interesting--does anybody else have special favorites? (Or is there already a list of favorites here, somewhere in the remote reaches of the eratosphere?)

Clip from Kinzie (opening lines of the introduction): The Cure of Poetry in an Age of Prose is a collection of essays in which I take as given the poet's deliberate seizure of language from the generality of prose. That effort is a restorative one; the poet aims to restore to poetry the universality and aboriginality that over time have mistakenly been reassigned to prose. Poetry is the preconditional state of language, not its late and shiftless offspring.
Unread 02-03-2016, 04:44 PM

I think you would greatly enjoy Fred Turner's Epic: Form, Content and History from 2012, not least because of the ways your excellent Thaliad performs the primeval epic purposes the author identifies. Publisher's blurb: http://www.transactionpub.com/title/...28-4944-9.html
Unread 02-03-2016, 08:43 PM

Thanks, Bill--I didn't know he had published a book about the epic, though I do have his "Genesis" in my writing room. Yes, sounds interesting! (And thanks for the "excellent," too.)