Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 02-11-2016, 12:27 PM
Distinguished Guest

Default From the widow of Wil Mills

Dear fellow writers,

Below, please see the letter which I received only yesterday, from the widow of poet Wilmer Mills.

As not only a fellow Louisianian, but also as a spiritual "sister" who shared Wil's profound faith and outlook, I have -- since his tragic death -- tried to promote his continuing legacy, insofar as I am possibly able. Some of you may remember, during Wil's sudden fatal illness a few years ago, when it appeared Wil himself was unable, I read his poem, "The Poet Playing Chess," for Richard Wilbur, at Mr. Wilbur's West Chester Poetry Conference birthday celebration. When they carried Wil's casket from the church -- the casket which Wil made with his own hands -- I was there. When they lowered Wil's body into the ground beneath the southern oaks, I was there.

But further -- Kathryn Oliver Mills is not only Wil's widow, but tremendously accomplished in her own right. It is my privilege and honor to consider her a friend, as well as Wil once was my friend.

Please spread the word.

I wish you all well as we move forward into springtime, when all this sacred Earth is renewed. May it be so, with Wil's memory -- and with his work, both of which I fervently hope will endure forever.

Best regards,
Jennifer
www.jenniferreeser.com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 9:14 AM
Subject: Will news
To: "A.M. Juster" <amjuster@hotmail.com>, Jennifer Reeser <reeserjennifer@gmail.com>

Dear Mike and Jennifer,

My article about Wil is out in the current issue of The Hopkins Review (I got my copy yesterday on Mardi Gras, a year to the day from when David had expressed interest in reading the article—profoundly fulfilling). I mention this to you both because I’m not plugged into poetry circles, and since Wil’s last two manuscripts will be coming out with Measure in a year, I thought it would be good to get the word out, as appropriate, to the extent possible.

I hope this message finds you both very well. Thanks for your interest and care for Wil, as well as your support of his work.

Happy Ash Wednesday!

With all good wishes,

Kathryn
Unread 02-11-2016, 03:06 PM

Thanks, Jennifer. I'm glad to know about the article. Two more manuscripts about to be published! That's good news, indeed.

Best,

Ed
Unread 02-11-2016, 05:05 PM

Thanks for the news, Jennifer. Wil's death was a loss to the poetry community, so it is good to hear that more of his poetry is yet to come.

Susan