Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 07-25-2014, 09:04 AM

I'm sorry not to be able to come, if only to satisfy my curiosity as to just how rotund some of those Sphereans are. I was due to go to Budapest on July 27th for reasons connected with the "day job", which I have prudently hung on to since those meanies at the magazines refuse to send me enough winnings to keep me even in the extremely modest style to which I am accustomed. (Surely a chip buttie every three days isn't asking too much?) But now I've been smitten by a nasty infection, and Budapest is also in abeyance. Curses!
Unread 07-25-2014, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I'm sorry not to be able to come, if only to satisfy my curiosity as to just how rotund some of those Sphereans are...I've been smitten by a nasty infection, and Budapest is also in abeyance. Curses!
Ah, Brian, Sacré bleu! (Does anyone in France ever actually say that? I suspect not.)

So sorry to hear of your affliction/infection and hope it clears up soon.
As for Spherean rotundity, I can satisfy your curiosity only on my own behalf: 9 stone 4, or 130 pounds as our US friends say, which is rather less rotund than I was last year.

One of these days we must have a Spherean gathering in Paris as I'm dying to go on Eurostar!

Jayne
Unread 07-26-2014, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayne Osborn View Post
Ah, Brian, Sacré bleu! (Does anyone in France ever actually say that? I suspect not.)
I think there may have been a time when they said it, but it has long been replaced by the ubiquitous "Merde!"
Unread 07-26-2014, 12:13 PM

Oh, heck, that's tomorrow... I'm going to be blowing my lungs out on the Polovtsian Dances in an all-Borodin programme. After which, if I survive, I'm off to France - though not to Allgar-land. Hope you feel better soon, Brian...
Unread 07-27-2014, 02:22 AM

Oh Brian, I do hope you are soon better. Last Wednesday I was stricken in the foot, so much so that I sould barely hobble to my quack. She thought it was gout. Gout! And she gave me pills. But it actually started getting better as soon as I had seen her. She is Irish, and consequently a white witch. Now I lope around merrily.

Gout! I barely touch the port.
Unread 07-27-2014, 03:11 PM
Distinguished Guest Host

A lovely and memorable occasion. Thanks, Jayne, for your excellent organisation and Rob for your good suggestion.
Unread 07-27-2014, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Thank you, David; it was indeed a lovely afternoon.

The line-up was: New member Betzi Richardson (she and I met at West Chester in 2012), David, Mary, Rob, Simon and his family, and me.

Strada was a great venue (thanks again, Rob) and I will go back again simply to have another heavenly Affogato!!!

Jayne
Unread 08-05-2014, 07:30 AM

Belated thanks to Jayne for organizing and to Mary and Rob for sticking around long enough for me to meet you. It's a great pleasure to meet colleagues from here in person. I'm not sure when we'll next be in the UK, but perhaps we will meet again. Do let me know if you're ever headed for the central coast of California.
Unread 08-05-2014, 06:25 PM
Administrator

It was lovely to meet you and your family, Simon.

We'll be in Las Vegas in February, for our daughter's wedding on the 19th, then my husband and I are going to LA for a few days afterwards. I'd like to make the most of crossing The Pond and meet as many Sphereans as I can during this trip!

Jayne