Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 03-30-2014, 03:04 PM

Default Maryann Corbett and John Foy at Carmine St. Metrics

Join us from 3-5 PM
at Otto's Shrunken Head
538 E. 14th St.
New York, NY

on Sunday, April 13

for the monthly Carmine St. Metrics reading

Maryann Corbett lives in St. Paul, Minnesota, and works for the Minnesota Legislature. Trained as a medievalist and linguist, she holds a doctorate in English from the University of Minnesota. Her poems, essays, and translations have appeared in Southwest Review, Barrow Street, River Styx, Atlanta Review, The Evansville Review, Measure, Literary Imagination, The Dark Horse, Mezzo Cammin, Linebreak, Subtropics, Verse Daily, American Life in Poetry, and many other journals as well an assortment of anthologies. She has been a several-time Pushcart and Best of the Net nominee; a finalist for the 2009 Morton Marr Prize, the 2010 Best of the Net anthology, and the 2011 Able Muse Book Prize; and a winner of the Lyric Memorial Award and the Willis Barnstone Translation Prize. She is the author of two books, Breath Control and Credo for the Checkout Line in Winter. Her third book, Mid Evil, won the Richard Wilbur Award and is forthcoming from The Evansville Press later this year.

John Foy's first book is Techne's Clearinghouse (Zoo Press). His poetry is featured in the Swallow Anthology of New American Poets (Swallow Press/Ohio University Press) and has appeared widely in magazines, including The New Yorker, Poetry, The New Criterion, Parnassus, The Raintown Review, American Arts Quarterly, and Barrow Street. His work has also been selected for the Poetry Daily website, Kin, Umbrella, linebreak, The Nervous Breakdown, YARN, and other websites. He has an MFA from Columbia University and has taught writing at Harvard Business School, Columbia, and Barnard. His essay-reviews have appeared in Parnassus, Contemporary Poetry Review and other publications, both print and on line, and he has been a guest blogger for Best American Poetry. You can visit his website at www.johnffoy.net.

Last edited by Quincy Lehr; 03-30-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Unread 03-30-2014, 03:42 PM

Yay!
This should be great!

We've finally gotten Maryann to New York for a reading!
She's coming to town for the Mezzo Cammin Women Poets Timeline special event at Fordham on Friday evening April 11th (more about that later).
Plus John Foy, of course, is wonderful!
Otto's is also fun (cheap drinks/no cover/goofy tiki theme) and our private back room is blissfully quiet.
Bring something to read at the open mike.

The Mezzo Cammin event Friday night is a public reading featuring Rhina Espaillat & Rachel Hadas, and also the Timeline participants (e.g., Anna Evans, Maryann, Angela O'Donnell, me, others ... ) will talk (briefly) and read work of the poets they've written about. 7 to 9 p.m. Food & cash bar.
At: Fordham's Lincoln Center Campus, Lowenstein Building, 60th & Columbus, 12th Floor Lounge.

Quite the poetry party weekend.
Unread 04-01-2014, 01:12 PM

Knock 'em dead, Maryann and John. Yes, Wendy, you're in for a treat.
Unread 04-02-2014, 04:30 AM

Oh, this I'd walk a long way for - but not quite that far. Will it be watchable online at all?
Unread 04-03-2014, 12:53 PM

I probably will walk a long way for this one (good Lord willin' and the crick don't rise) because Otto's so far east on 14th Street. I will likely come equipped to record, Ann. Maryann reading at a shrunken head-themed Tiki Lounge in New York City? All time will stop!~,:^)

Not-to-be-missed double feature bill.
Unread 04-03-2014, 05:52 PM

Sounds amazing! Too far for me. But break a leg, Maryann and John. And click those pix, Rick. (Jeez, that's really cheesy, isn't it?! But I'd love to see at least some of it.)

The Mezzo Cammin thing sounds great too. Thanks, Wendy.

Charlotte
Unread 04-05-2014, 10:30 AM

Thanks for all these good wishes, friends. Though I always wish I had a Tardis and could just materialize where I need to be without planes, subways, and cabs, I'm psyched for both these readings and hoping to meet lots of people in the NYC contingent of the Sphere.

(Rick, having time stop might be a good thing, so I can study the subway map Terese very kindly sent me.)
Unread 04-11-2014, 02:51 PM

Off to the Mezzo Cammin reading for part I of the weekend's festivites. Hope we have a big turnout on Sunday!
Unread 04-11-2014, 03:27 PM

Unable to go to Sunday's reading, I think I'll be at the one tonight.
Unread 04-12-2014, 12:40 AM

So, on Sunday, which to go to?

Quincy's hosted reading on the East Coast, with the amazing Maryann Corbett and John Foy?

Or my hosted reading at Beyond Baroque on the West Coast with the amazing David Rosenthal, Frank Osen, and B. H. Fairchild?!

My best to you guys from over here. Wish I could be at both!

Charlotte

(Sneaking in a bump!)