Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 04-18-2014, 12:20 PM

Default Ludlow Anniversary

To weave some strands of two other current threads, this is a reminder that Sunday is the anniversary of the Ludlow massacre.

Here is an article in today's Washington Post. As you can imagine, David Mason has been travelling the four corners of Colorado talking to all manner of groups of people, and sitting on panels with other members of the community, such as lawyers, union leaders, direct descendants, journalists, not only to remember Ludlow, but to bring it to the attention of many people for the first time.

A documentary, showing now in Greece around film festivals, and doing really well, examines the story through the life of Louis Tikas, who is a central character in Dave's Ludlow. I went with Dave to Tikas's village on Crete last year. It was an extraordinary experience. Dave is interviewed in the documentary. A panel on the Ludlow anniversary is on the schedule for West Chester, too.

One of the most powerful places I have been to in my travels around America in recent years is the site of the Ludlow massacre just outside Trinidad, Colorado. I went into the death pit, and believe me, the land itself has not forgotten.

On the thread about Marquez's death, I linked his farewell letter. This is one of its highlights:

I have learned that a man has the right and obligation to look down at another man, only when that man needs help to get up from the ground.

This is the heart of Ludlow.

Please remember Ludlow this Sunday.

Cally
Unread 04-19-2014, 06:26 AM

Amen.

Nemo
Unread 04-27-2014, 09:44 AM

It makes you want to holler, as has been said in D.C. Amazing, that folk are fighting to get rid of Twain or add courses on Genesis, but Ludlow and any number of tragedies like it that didn't have the benefit of a poet's labor are completely neglected. I'm glad to see the news is getting out, and I'm grateful to have it brought to my attention.

Best,

Ed

P.S. "Completely neglected" is incorrect, given the scholarship and poetry lavished on it -- "ignored by most people" is closer to what I meant to say.

Last edited by Ed Shacklee; 04-27-2014 at 11:06 AM.