Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 09-16-2014, 07:14 PM

Count me as one who is stunned and saddened by Kim's sudden dismissal. I cannot imagine anyone else pulling off the job she did of maintaining the conference's sense of tradition/continuity while breathing diversity and new energy into the programming. She was and is a marvel.
Unread 09-16-2014, 07:39 PM

Point taken, Bill (Lantry). You're right, my language was slightly off. I have been trying really hard not to speculate! If anyone can access Allison Joseph's thread on Facebook, there is some interesting information there--and yes, it's information, not speculation--in the midst of all the sorrow and commentary.

I have to say, I do think it's very important to speak one's mind, to protest, make a noise, about public actions one cares about. It might seem like there's no effect, but public protest can lead to change. And even if there's no change now, maybe later. I've seen it happen. Plus, it's just the right thing to do. I find it very moving that so many people are expressing their shock and sorrow.

Charlotte
Unread 09-16-2014, 08:25 PM

For my fellow nitpickers (you know who you are), the WCU Office of the President website misspells Philips Memorial Building. It should have one L and no apostrophe:

President Greg R. Weisenstein
Philips Memorial Building
West Chester, PA 19382

(Yep, I'm staying focused on the really important stuff here...)

Do write. I've greatly benefitted from this conference even though I've never attended. It revitalizes the poetic community in which I participate online, and even from this distance, I can see that Bridgford's leadership has been dynamic and exciting.
Unread 09-16-2014, 09:55 PM

Here's the local paper's report, for what it's worth:

http://www.dailylocal.com/general-ne...led-conference
Unread 09-16-2014, 09:56 PM

This article will be printed in tomorrow's Daily Local News, the West Chester local paper.

WCU poetry director’s removal results in canceled conference
Unread 09-16-2014, 10:32 PM

Default Please support Kim

As someone who worked closely with Kim until my temporary appointment ended on August 29, I was shocked when I heard the news yesterday morning. It is appropriate to write in support of Kim citing her accomplishments and letting the university know it has made a mistake.
Very interesting to hear from the dean that this decision has been in progress for a while. It makes me incredibly sad to think that Kim was given no opportunity to present her case and was given no notice. Trust me when I say there is no GOOD reason for her removal. The university is in full CYA mode, and I hope that Kim's attorney will be able to subpoena the necessary documents to demonstrate how wrong this decision is. I thank you all for your letters of support. Please continue! I hope the advisory board members will step up and support Kim; in fact, they should be demanding her immediate reinstatement. I also hope someone at a college or university will consider running a poetry conference this summer to fill the void. If Kim is not reinstated, then I think the conference should be moved elsewhere permanently, because West Chester University will no longer deserve it.
Unread 09-17-2014, 04:02 AM

Well, I'm appalled. I was dithering over whether to send an email for its immediacy or a letter for its University of Cambridge letterhead, but you convinced me to go for the email. Sent this morning.
Unread 09-17-2014, 04:32 AM

I just learned about this from this thread.

Kim--who has done so much for poetry, not least for her work in bringing women poets into a more prominent place in the public eye--has my full support. I need to find time to read the newspaper articles and digest all of this to get the facts right so my forthcoming letter will not be set aside due to inaccuracies. When one tars and feathers, one should be sure about why and whom. Any argument loses its integrity when it seems to be just jumping on the bandwagon as it rolls by.

On a personal and selfish note, I had hoped to attend this year because I am attending a (relatively) nearby workshop in a time frame that makes participation convenient.

On a second personal and selfish note, Kim has been a shining beacon for me since I discovered her and I am not hesitant to support her in every way.
Unread 09-17-2014, 06:59 AM

If the university was forthcoming enough to state that the decision was in progress for some time, then I daresay we can assume that Kim was aware of her situation. There must have been discussions about the audit she initiated and its consequences, and who know what other discussions as well. At least, that is how I imagine the situation, which must have been protracted and painful and one she had to stay mum about.

Still, this is conjecture. Conjecture is all that is available to us when it comes to the whys and wherefores. It just doesn't make sense to me that someone of Kim's ability, graciousness, and stature would be removed because some overspending happened before her administratorship. Then again, academia always has seemed Kafkaesque to me!

At least Kim knows how much she was deeply appreciated by the rest of us.

Clearly, the university intends to revive the conference in 2016 and as long as the instructors we know and love agree to return, all should be well. Time will tell if they return. Personally, I'd love to see an alternate conference held anywhere but that dreary university, which looks as it was designed by a blind and soulless architect.
Unread 09-17-2014, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Stoner View Post
For my fellow nitpickers (you know who you are), the WCU Office of the President website misspells Philips Memorial Building. It should have one L and no apostrophe:

President Greg R. Weisenstein
Philips Memorial Building
West Chester, PA 19382

(Yep, I'm staying focused on the really important stuff here...)

Do write. I've greatly benefitted from this conference even though I've never attended. It revitalizes the poetic community in which I participate online, and even from this distance, I can see that Bridgford's leadership has been dynamic and exciting.
Thanks for the correction, Julie. That apostrophe in the building's name did look odd to me, but I copied what I found on the university's website. I'm glad you had a better information source.