Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 09-26-2002, 11:01 AM
Distinguished Guest Host

Coincidentally, Tom, I've been discussing exactly the same subject with my publicist.
To celebrate the launch, he's arranged for me to abseil down the Empire State Building while reciting poems from my book.
I'll be naked, except for a strategically-inserted daffodil, and a silk hat.
Best regards,
David
Unread 09-28-2002, 06:07 PM

Everyone concerned here really ought to be congratulated. I won't even try to pick out highlights, because I know that I can't do everyone justice, but there really is wonderful work here by Tim, Richard, David, Rhina, and Jerry.
Congratulations to everyone! My only question is: where can I get the phone number of David Anthony's publicist?

Tony
Unread 09-28-2002, 07:33 PM

I'm finally making my way through all the books, and they are an impressive series. Tim, Rhina, David, Jerry and Richard: lovely work.

Richard, my favorite of yours is "Terminal Park": I love that "turntables rotated cars to go back" and the relatively gentle way you deal with the darkness.

Tim, aside from the gorgeous title of your collection, I most enjoy the sweet simplicity and sounds of "The Tiderace" and the beautiful restrained feeling of "Salsola Kali."

Jerry, not having seen many of yours previously, I'm lingering over them, and then will revisit Rhina's and David's again.

It's excellent reading! Thank you all.

Terese
Unread 09-28-2002, 08:04 PM

It has been a pleasure to read the fine work by each author in the e-book series, and I’m looking forward with happy anticipation to seeing other collections as the series progresses.

Of the works published so far, I can’t pick any favorites, because all are memorable work, but I was immediately at home with Tim’s “Two Miles West”, with its images of a landscape that links us to a past perhaps more hospitable than our future. Richard’s “Original Disillusion” made me reconsider whether the remote past was so great after all, and David’s “Water Bearer” made me think of how the day is made better for the things we sometimes disdain, and how grateful we are when personal loss or injury occurs but we have the assurance of recovery in the hospitality of friends, as Rhina’s fine “The Small Hunt” reminds us.

I’m sure forthcoming collections will remind us again how pleasant it is to encounter poets and poems whose work is so well represented here in Eratosphere.

Jerry
Unread 09-30-2002, 01:34 PM
Lariat Emeritus

Let me add my congratulations to Jerry Jenkins on his distinguished contribution to the series. I have asked John Beaton for a manuscript. And because all our little books to date are so grave, so elegiac, I have asked the Laughing Stream of Kilkenny, our own Jim Hayes, for a very funny little book. I also have permission from the awesome Suzanne Doyle to select a manuscript from her draft Collected Poems. Suzanne's books have been out of print for more than a decade, and I know that many of our members, particularly our young women, are intensely interested in her work. More invitations will be forthcoming. At The New Formalist, at least for now, Erato Rules.
Unread 09-30-2002, 03:07 PM

Looking forward to the Doyle contribution, Tim. Need more chick poems ! And some Hayes humor will be a nice balance.

Have been enjoying these at my leisure, a fabulous idea, this. Nice work, folks, congrats to all of you !

And I think it should be noted that I'm biting
my tongue re: David A's daffodil.

wendy

Unread 10-01-2002, 05:17 AM
Lariat Emeritus

I've edited the topic title, for Tony Lombardy is now Spherian #6 to contribute an ebook! Check it out, especially "In Memory of Stephen Spender, an ambitious and astonishing updating of Auden's famous elegy for Yeats: http://www.newformalist.com/ebooks/index.html
Unread 10-05-2002, 07:17 AM
Honorary Poet Lariat

I just want to say that I've been reading and rereading the new additions to the "newformalist e-books," and can't believe my good fortune at being in such distinguished company. The variety of theme and subject, the quality of the writing, the ease with which these six remarkable guys handle everything from frontier lore to philosophical specu-lation to history and religious questioning to that trick-iest of all commodities, humor! I've never been in better company than on this electronic "shelf" with this blend of old friends and exciting new ones. My thanks to Leo, and to Tim for inviting me to submit work! And I'm looking forward to the poets soon to come aboard.
Unread 10-05-2002, 07:54 AM

I have been remiss in not checking out The New Formalist sooner.

I am stunned by the quality of the site and the published works. I'm not quite sure what to say. It took me a long time to find the pearl of Eratosphere on the net. I've just seen another.

I'll try to confine myself to a poem a day, to make the candy last.

Jerry
Unread 10-05-2002, 07:59 PM

I have just read Jim Hayes' outstanding addition to the collection of e-books, and would write more in praise of his poems but I'm laughing so hard that I can scarcely see the keyboard.

Jim, thanks for the gift of your poems. Humor, cheer and lightheartedness are sometimes in short supply. In your collection, we have an abundance of fun stuff - and fine poetry to boot.

Jerry